Sunday, February 17, 2008

Next: BWOF Amalgam Project



I was in one of my favorite indie fabric stores (Hayes Sewing, Wilmington DE) and saw the print fabric above. I immediately visualized a two piece dress using the fabric. I didn't have a pattern in mind, but I bought the fabric anyway. When the BWOF February 2008 issue arrived, I thought the #130B tunic and my fabric were a perfect match. The skirt in that particular collection is a straight skirt and not the best choice for my body type. I looked through my BWOF index and found a more suitable skirt in the May 2006 issue. I know how much BWOF loves plunging necklines. The copy describing the tunic recommends a tank top be worn under the tunic "for modesty's sake". I found a tank top in the April 2005 issue. So, I'm calling this outfit a BWOF Amalgam.

I'm so glad I sew. I visualized an outfit and I'm able to produce just what I visualized. I really don't understand why everybody doesn't sew their own clothes. And, who needs the Big 4? I was able to leisurely flip through my BWOF index and find just the pieces I needed. And I didn't have to run to the store and buy patterns. I'm in sewer's heaven over here!

6 comments:

  1. Great outfit idea! I don't get it either why people don't sew. You get exactly what you want and it fits you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol
    I still like some of the big 4 patterns, i think its the best of both worlds.
    your garments will be fab, can't wait to see them and i agree, sewing is so wonderful, so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sewing is definitely the way to go. No good reason to limit your choices to what's available in stores (and doesn't fit).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely fabric and plan. Will be a very nice outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *LOL* You are like The Borg in the Star Trek series, "You will be assimilated!" Glad you found the perfect pieces in your BWOF collection to use with this very pretty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto everything in your last paragraph! (except that I'm still buying Big 4 patterns...)

    ReplyDelete