Sunday, January 29, 2012

Finished: Burda Plus Fashion FW-2010-405

BPF FW-2010-405
Click here or see sidebar for PR Review
My lastest finished project is #405 from the Fall/Winter 2010 issue of Burda Plus Fashion. I can't believe I've had the fabric since last May, PR Weekend in Chicago.  I usually don't let fabric hang around that long.  The fabric is 100% polyester and pressing it really made me appreciate natural fibers.  I had to use lots of steam and a clapper to get the seams to press open.

I thought the print fabric needed some contrast. I was lucky to find the black contrasting fabric at JoAnn. The two fabrics are essentially identical and they work well together. Adding the contrast was easy.  I determined the width and drew a line on the bodice pattern piece (front and back).  Then, I laid tracing paper over the bodice and traced the new contrast band piece.  Next, I added the seam allowance to the band and to the new edge of the bodice and cut out the pieces.  I recommend including a notch for matching the pieces.  An even easier method would have been to draw the line, cut the pattern piece apart and add seam allowances.  The bodice is lined with self fabric rather than faced.

No one would ever notice, but I used a tone-on-tone decorative stitch on the insert.  I took the time to audition several stitch patterns to find one that complimented the print.  I needn't have bothered.   I like a tone-on-tone effect for its subtlety, but this passes subtle and goes right to invisible.

I'm happy with the way this dress turned out.  I glad that decided to add the contrast.  This may end up being a favorite dress.