Saturday, February 23, 2008

Finished: BWOF 01/2005 #134 Jacket


I finished this jacket last week but I wanted to have it professionally pressed before I brought it in for “Show and Tell”. (The white spot is a picture problem and not on the jacket.) I made this jacket to wear with the BWOF 09/07-129 dress and camouflage my mid-section. That mission was accomplished. But, this project had other positive outcomes.
  • I successfully completed a three-dot BWOF jacket using BWOF directions! I could have used simpler directions from another source, especially for the collar/lapel, but I set a personal goal of using BWOF directions and learning the BWOF methods.

  • I made modifications that were additions, not shortcuts. The original jacket was unlined. I added a full lining to the front, a partial lining to the back and I used a Hong Kong finish on the exposed seams rather than a serged finish.

  • I “shopped my stash” and used fabric that I had on hand for the bias strips. Many months ago, I acquired a coordinated set of black and white fat quarters. I used the fat quarters to make bias strips for the Hong Kong finish and piping. My eco-conscious daughter, who zealously touts "reduce-reuse-recycle", would be proud of me.

  • The patchwork effect in the bias strips represented a step outside my comport zone. I’m a boring, matchy-matchy type when it comes to my wardrobe. Making the pieced bias strips was “exciting”! Of course, the public will never see the patchwork effect and it is only slightly visible even to me … but I know it’s there.
A few months ago, I resolved to make each of my sewing projects "notable" . I wanted each project to do more than give me something to wear. This jacket certainly fits the criteria.

12 comments:

  1. What a great job you done on the jacket. I would have pulled my hair out over the collar. The jacket completes the dress. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Elaray. Don't you just love the HongKong finish? I am inspired by your idea of making each item something more than just something to wear. I really need to quit doing contests and just take my time to make each garment special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaray, I loved the dress and the addition of the jacket, makes this a fabulous outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, great outfit! Very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outfit, it looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it worked out really good, I am glad you were able to figure out how to make this beautiful dress wearable and to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very stylish combination, great job.

    Els

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done - you've made it work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that the jacket idea worked out so well for you. I am also happy that you tried something different (outside your comfort zone) and was rewarded with a great new outfit. The only thing missing is the skinny black belt! If you can find one, you will see how it will really tie the outfit together and give it an even greater WOW factor!

    Congrats on the new outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Your outfit looks wonderful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your outfit looks wonderful. It truly is flattering:)

    ReplyDelete