Saturday, April 21, 2007

Linen and Cotton

Susan Khalje has become one of my favorite "nationally known sewing experts". I really like the techniques she demonstrates on "Sew Much More" on DIY Network. Because DIY Network changes its schedule without notice, "Sew Much More" can disappear at any time. There is only so much storage space on the DVR and I can't record and store every episode. So, I decided to purchase books Khalje has authored. I bought this copy from Alibris, my favorite online source for books, for less than $10, including shipping.

This book is exactly what I was looking for! It contains scores of techniques seldom found on instruction sheets. For example, in Chapter 5: Sewing techniques, I found the following techniques: false French seam, slot seam, braced seam, and self-bound seam. In Chapter 8, Finishing Details, I found instructions, with a drawing, for installing a grosgrain underlay to protect the skin from zipper teeth. I wasn't aware a technique such as that existed! Khalje's book has lots of the techniques she demonstrates on Sew Much More, like the hanging loops for skirts. The book has many diagrams and drawings to illustrate the techniques. The photographs show-off the details and augment the directions. This book is published by Taunton Press and the layout is similar to Threads Magazine 10 years ago.

The subtitle of this book says it all: "Classic Sewing Techniques for Great Results". I'm going to make a point of learning and using the techniques in Linen and Cotton.

This book appears to be part of a series called "Focus on Fabric." I've found only one other title in the series; Sewing with Knits by Connie Long. For some reason, I haven't been able to find this title for less than $30 and the copies are used. If Long's book is anything like Khalje's, I may just buy it anyway!

3 comments:

  1. I commend you on your using all the techniques in the book. I bought that book last summer, I fell in love with it but I haven't picked it up in a while. I have the Connie Long Sewing with Knits book, it's totally worth it. I haven't ever seen another book that's as comprehensive as hers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also heartily recommend the Connie Long book. Try Hamiltonbooks.com or bookcloseouts.com I got mine thru one of them don't remember which- with S&H under 10 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only $10 bucks! Wow. It is great having expert knowledge at your fingertips.I like Susan Khalje too.She is very much into fine details.

    ReplyDelete