Thursday, April 19, 2007

BWOF 12/2004 144 & 147 Part 2


I finished my Anti-SWAP - BWOF Challenge. I've always bought fabric for a specific pattern. This time, I wanted to flip the procedure and buy fabric just because I liked it. My experiment was a success. I was able to buy fabric first and I was able to match it to a suitable BWOF pattern using my newly-made BWOF Index. The blouse fabric was shiny and slippery; a bit of a problem to work with. And the solid, I suspect, didn't have one natural fiber in it. I prefer blends to 100% poly, but often you have to take what you can get.

As I said in a previous post, I really like the way the elastic was applied in this skirt. When I studied the technical drawing, I wondered how elastic could be applied with no visible casing. The method was really easy and it looks very clean. But since I suffer from an acute case of NDW Syndrome, (No Discernable Waist) and never tuck in blouses, the invisible casing will be invisible to everyone.

Now that I know it is possible to use fabric that was bought with no specific garment in mind, a whole new way of shopping has opened up to me. I can buy fabric just because I like it and know that it will get used. Now, I feel empowered to suppress my control-freak, practical side and buy fabric with my emotional side. I hope this doesn't mean I'm turning into a "Stasher", because I really don't have the space.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, I too use to only buy fabric as needed. About 15 months ago I started buying emotionally and I now have cough over 100yds.cough cough. Be very careful!

    ReplyDelete