Monday, November 22, 2010

Guess What I'll Be Sewing!

My brother-in-law took my niece to visit her paternal grandmother in New York last weekend.  See what happens when you go shopping with Da and Gran-Gran?

I'm actually looking forward to sewing
American Girl clothes.  Jada has about 1,826 Build-a-Bears (well, it seems like 1,826.) In the interest of full disclosure, I'm pretty sure I bought the first bear (my sister still blames me) and I haven't made one outfit for any of them.  I would have had to draft a pattern for a bear!  I'm not that good yet.  But there are already so many patterns available for American Girls.  I bought a pattern as soon as I learned Jada was going to American Girl Place!  Gran-Gran is an extremely talented seamstress, so I'm sure Jada's American Girl will be the best dressed doll in North Carolina.

My own daughter never really played with dolls.  She had a couple of Barbies and a Cabbage Patch Kid but she was more into sports and science when she was doll-playing age.  I made Barbie clothes one Christmas when she was about three.   I had mixed feelings about the project because I object to Barbie on certain levels.   And, it's not easy sewing clothes for a doll with a three inch waist.  But now I finally have the chance to sew real doll clothes!  I'm so excited!

11 comments:

  1. I love American Girl dolls. My dd has 4 of them and lots of clothing and furniture. It was the perfect Grandparents gift. My girlfriend and I even hosted a tea party for our daughters, their friends and their dolls. It was a sad day when she no longer played with them and before she went to Korea she carefully packed them all up to save, perhaps for her own daughter, if I should be so lucky! She still wants to visit American Girl Place, even at her advanced age of 24.
    I liked them so much more than Barbie. I even sewed some clothing and you know what, she still says that those were the best because no one else had them. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Have fun with those doll outfits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Enjoy. I've sewn plenty in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will have so much fun making AG doll clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that sounds like fun! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will love doing this because the best AG doll clothes are made from scraps of your own fabrics. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie had an American Girl doll but was never really into her like some of the other girls were. My sister has all the Barbie clothes my grandmother sewed for our Barbie dolls in the sixties. Maybe your niece will save the outfits you sew for her doll.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your niece looks so thrilled with her doll and fancy store shopping bag. I bought one of the same dolls for my daughter this Xmas, or rather Santa did. I forget what American Girl is calling them but they have a new series where you input your child's hair, skin, and eye color into the computer and they generate a doll that looks like her. I always wanted a doll that looked like me when I was little. I think your niece is really going to enjoy her new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun you will have. Hopefully you save your scraps - there's so much you can do with them. Then there's the matching dresses for girl and American Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun you'll be having. All those small fabric pieces you've probably saved will be wonderful for new doll wardrobes. Your niece will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look forward to seeing your creations for her new doll.

    ReplyDelete