Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Couture Techniques Workshop

This may become my favorite sewing DVD, which is not surprising because Claire Shaeffer is one of my favorite sewing experts.  Couture Techniques Workshop: Basics really demonstrates the difference between home sewing and couture sewing.  I've heard about professors at design schools using "home sewn" as the ultimate put-down.  Now I understand why.  Home sewing, even when done by the most talented and skilled practitioners, and couture sewing are two different animals.  In the introduction, Shaeffer stated she rarely has time to make a garment using only couture techniques.  Instead, she recommends using the techniques where they will make the most difference.

Two discs are included.  Four of the seven chapters on Disc One covered various hand sewing techniques:  Basting Stitches, Permanent Stitches, Slip Stitches and Hemming Stitches.  On Disc Two, Shaeffer demonstrated marking, pressing, shrinking, stretching and how to make bars and chains. Thanks to excellent camera close-ups,  I clearly saw how various stitches are made.  Shaeffer used many couture garments to illustrate the various techniques.  In addition to her own designs for Vogue, she opened up pieces from Chanel, Valentino and other couturiers of the 60s and 70s.  Shaeffer used wool crepe to demonstrate most of the techniques.  That has always been one of my favorite fabrics and if (I mean "when") I make a jacket using some of these couture techniques, wool crepe will be my choice.

Many current and popular sewing books and videos teach how to make clothes "fast and easy".  I look for resources that teach how to make clothes "well" and this DVD does exactly that.  Using even a few of the techniques will make the clothes I sew look like expensive ready-to-wear, if not couture. I'm okay with that. This DVD inspired me to incorporate couture techniques into my home sewing and improve the quality of the garments I sew.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a terrific DVD. I wish my local library carried more instructional video, or better yet, Netflix! But then folks probably wouldn't return them. Thanks for the review.I'll keep my eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I've been considering putting this on my Christmas list - and now I definitely will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the review! I have been vacillating on whether to buy this or not and your review has convinced me to go for it. Your attitude is exactly my own. I don't want to do it faster, I want to do it better. I buy her patterns just for the instructions, so to be able to see her demonstrate her techniques, well worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful resource. You're making a very strong case for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. I off to Amazon to buy the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered mine last week and am patiently awaiting it's arrival :))) So nice to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have been wondering about purchasing this one. it's now on my Christmas list. Hope Santa knows how good I've been.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great DVD review. I do plan on getting that book very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review, it's on my Christmas list now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the great review, this one is a must have in my sewing library!

    ReplyDelete