Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sewing with Bert and Ernie

My sister and I often compare ourselves to Bert and Ernie of Sesame Street. I'm Bert and she's Ernie. Ernie is unpredictable while Bert is just the opposite. I see Bert's personality reflected in my sewing. Usually, I stick religiously to the directions and make very few design changes in the garments I make. I focus on the technical aspects of sewing more than the opportunity for creativity it provides. I spend time indexing BWOF issues and patterns when I could be actually creating something. I'm convinced Bert is the reason I see fabric merely as "clothes-I-haven't-made-yet". Bert won't let me accumulate too much fabric or enjoy fabric for it's own sake.

It's too late to totally shed my Bert personality, but I am trying to get in touch with my inner Ernie. I'm resolving to be more creative in my sewing. I have plans to draft a different sleeve for one blouse and substitute buttons and button loops for hooks and eyes on another. I'm not going to be bound by the written instructions provided. Maybe I'll even add some tasteful embellishments where appropriate. (OMG!) In spite of their differences, Bert and Ernie have peaceably shared an apartment on Sesame Street for over 30 years. They prove technical pragmatism and creative exuberance can coexist!

What might happen if I embraced my inner Ernie? Click Bert then play the video to find out. (You may need Adobe Flash player to view the video.)

5 comments:

  1. I'm actually watching the duo as we speak :) I'm more Bert, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well when it comes to sewing I guess I'm a healthy combination of Bert and Ernie. I share your hesitation of accumulating fabric without purpose, but I love the thrill of adding my own design touches to a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Bert as well and could totally relate to your 'Too Much Fabric' post in November. It takes all types to make the world go round and good on you for trying something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was too funny. Maybe you'll "establish a relationship" with a new found creativity. I'm kind of like you with following directions. In fact, I am making a pair of pants today and have lost the directions. I have made pants similar to these at least 4 times, yet I feel like I MUST Find those directions, even though I'm sure I can make them without. I like to "stick to the rules" sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete