Monday, September 22, 2008

There's No Business Like Show Business

Thanks to Karen, I'm in show business! Well, not really. But now, I do have a connection to the theater. Karen sews costumes for a local theater group. It sounded like a fun way to volunteer so I asked Karen for details. And now, I'm in show business, too!

My audition first assignment was easy. I was given a detailed design sketch, the pattern and fabric. It was up to me to make the pattern look like the dress. My character is a housewife, so her dress was simple. It's based on Butterick 5049. When I sew for myself, I usually don't make major design changes to the pattern, so this was a new challenge for me. In this case, I had to add a zipper and an oversized Peter Pan collar with a ruffle.

This was a fun learning experience for me. I've always wanted to be able to look at a picture and make what I saw. But I'm not comfortable breaking rules and I've seldom strayed from the pattern's directions. That's essentially what I did here. I'm looking forward to doing this again.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Welcome to the world of rule-breaking and out of the box sewing! (AKA sewing for the stage...).

    Just remember...if you can't see it from 10 feet away, it's not there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, what a neat project! A bit out of the comfort zone, but what a great learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you've joined me. The hardest to get used to is NOT being as fiddly and perfectionist as we are for our own clothes, but Lisa's right - if you can't see it from 10 feet away, it either doesn't count (if it's a shortcut you wouldn't normally make) or isn't there (for everything else). Can't wait to see the finished dress.

    ReplyDelete