Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Oops

I made a big mistake while working on my latest project BWOF 10/2007 #129. While trying to ease the sleeve into the armscye, I realized there was no way this baby was going to fit. I realized I'd traced and cut a sleeve that was 2 sizes larger than the rest of the blouse. So, I went back to Hayes Sewing to buy more of the same fabric, which I really loved. Of course, there was no more fabric. So, I had no choice but to buy more fabric! I really loved the blouse pattern, too and I'm committed to it enough that I don't mind starting all over. It gives me a chance to try the woven fusible interfacing I ordered from Sew Exciting. After reading Lindsay's post about interfacing, I decided to try something other than Pellon. It arrived the day after I used the Pellon on this blouse. Now that I'm starting over, I get to use the woven fusible interfacing. So, there is a sliver of a silver lining.

5 comments:

  1. Laughing - any excuse to purchase fabric! I am exactly the same. I have so much it is ridiculous. Just made a pact with DH that if he doesn't buy any books until Nov 15, I will not buy any fabric. Then I remembered I am goign to the American Sewing Expo in Michigan the end of this month - I may have to sneak some stuff in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will be pleased with the interfacing from Sew Exciting; you certainly won't return to Pellon. BTW, you'll be happy to know I am almost done with my first BWOF pattern and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your enthusiasm and persistence. Look forward to reading about your finished blouse.

    Did you try recutting the sleeves using the oversized sleeve fabric pieces? Sometimes that works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never use pellon interfacing anymore. Well, I take that back. I did buy some Pellon "Designer's Light" which I absolutley love, but can't find it anymore. I usually like so soft, so sheer, fusi knit, and french fuse. They all are a little bit different, so I always test on the fabric (you can't really tell by feeling the interfacing because they react differently on the fabrics.) There are lots of sources for getting interfacings including JoAnns and Hancocks, if you know what to ask for. I usually as them to "show me all of your woven and knit fusibles" Palmer Pletch and Fashion sewing Group also have great interfacings. Once you try some of these, you'll never go back to Pellon non-woven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's too bad - that is lovely fabric, I can see you wearing it. I'm with Cennetta, since the sleeve you cut is too big, couldn't you just cut it smaller using the too big sleeves?

    I am going to try that interfacing once I run out of the stock I have here. I have some Pellon for tailored shirts, but am not 100% thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete