Thursday, June 19, 2008

First Self-Drafted Pattern


This is my first self-drafted pattern!
Click to enlarge.


This is a skirt pattern drafted for my daughter. Don't you just love all of those ~lines~ and everything! It really wasn't that difficult. I used Make Your Own Sewing Patterns by Rene Bergh. This book gives step-by-step directions for drawing each and every line. I'll have to retrace it to clean it up and remove the unnecessary construction lines. Of course, it looks good neatly drawn on paper. I'll have to make it up in muslin to really see if it works. Only four measurements were needed: waist, hips, finished length and hem circumference. I made an educated guess on the hem circumference measurement based on a skirt I'd just finished for Daughter.

This is the type of project I won't do from beginning to end. Now that I've drafted the front and back, I'll put it aside until I get muslin. Once the muslin is made, I'll probably put it aside again until I get the real fabric. This project is an experiment in pattern drafting. The goal is to make a garment from a self-drafted pattern, not necessarily to end up with a wearable garment. It's an added bonus if the skirt is wearable.

If this experiment is successful, I'd like to get my hands on a copy of Ms Stylebook. I believe those patterns are self-drafted rather than traced. I'm not sure if Ms Stylebook has plus size selections, but I'd like to look over a copy - just to see.

2 comments:

  1. You know, as I was reading your post, I was thinking that this was a lot like Japanese patterns! Good for you - it will be interesting to see how the muslin turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the posts! I can't wait to see how this works.

    ReplyDelete