Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Finished: BWOF Plus Fall/Winter #409 & 410

Another finished project moves from the sewing room to the bedroom closet. I must be getting good at BWOFs because this outfit went together without incident. Other than changing the "blind welt pocket" to a functioning welt pocket, construction of the pants was routine. I made the blouse before as a test garment. This time I lengthened it by just one inch and I'm much happier with the results. Who knew one little inch would make such a difference. It's hard to see, but this blouse has a v-neck in addition to the collar. Being BWOF, of course the v-neck is cut low. For some reason, Burda likes us to show lots and lots of cleavage. But, it's not that obvious with this fabric. Speaking of the blouse fabric, I wonder how many sewers take the time to match prints when sewing. As I look at this photograph, I think maybe I should start doing that. Matching print motifs is a sign of a couture garment. With a print this large, I'm sure it would have meant an extra yard or more. But, money is no object when you're talking about couture garments (yeah, right!).

9 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I find BWOF a bit too low in the necklines for my tastes, too, so I fix them. I do try to match obvious prints. Your blouse looks find though - it is not distracting that it doesn't match and I didn't even think about it when I first saw the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your new set looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pants look fabulous - and that blouse is very expensive looking! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I was really hoping for a back view! *smile* It is a very nice outfit, though!

    Threads did an article on working with large prints in 2005. I just can't think of the issue because I'm at work! But if you have them from back then, check it out. It gives excellent pointers on how to work with and match the print.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great outfit! The blouse print is beautiful and I love the button triplets. You do such nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice outift. I don't think you need to match the print for a shirt like this. It is a random pattern and looks perfect just as it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a really nice job on your outfit. I really like how the pants fit. I to did not notice the need to match the print in your blouse. Burda pants have a nice cut to them. This weekend I'll go looking for the new Burda Plus magazine.

    ReplyDelete