Wednesday, January 2, 2008

BWOF 11/06 #132 or How I Spent My Winter Vacation

The timing was perfect. I got my new machine at the beginning of December. Christmas vacation started a few weeks later and I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with the sewing machine. In addition, I had the time to devote to my "semi-tailored" jacket. A new sewing machine; a new project; a nine day vacation – perfect.


I finished the bouclé jacket. I call this jacket "semi-tailored" because it doesn't have a collar and lapels or pockets. But, this is the closest I've come to tailoring in almost 20 years. I made a suit, but at that time, my skills were really not up to the task. That's all I have to say about that. In the following photo, the blouse hem is turned up, but not sewn. Also, the threads have not been clipped and the jacket has not been professionally pressed. I was eager to post the pictures.


I used "The Easy Guide to Sewing Jackets" as my reference so I didn't rely on the BWOF directions. Something strange happened as I was lengthening the jacket pieces. I think bagging the lining was not the intended treatment. The hem allowance was smaller than I anticipated and it looks a little strange. This was the first time I bagged a lining. It was really a fun treatment to do.



I chose the piping color to match the blouse (Burda 8363). I decided I couldn't possibly make piping without a special piping foot and I drove all the way to King of Prussia to get the foot. I bought the wrong foot the first time and I had to go back the next day (Christmas Eve–Yikes!) to exchange it. One of many "learning opportunities": I sewed the piping to the facing while I was under stitching the facing. Oops.


Two layers of underlined bouclé and one layer of interfacing proved to be too thick to make Bernina's famous buttonholes. So, I was forced (wink) to buy another accessory. This little gadget allowed the thick layers of fabric to move smoothly while making buttonholes. Bernina has a foot for everything!



So, as I look back on the past 9 days, I feel satisfied about all that I accomplished, both sewing and non-sewing related. I hope to duplicate the feeling when Easter Vacation arrives.

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing this project before going back to work!!! Your jacket looks great, love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to start 2008 with a new suit made by you! And it looks great! I love the detail of the piping matching the top...very, very kewl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You look smart and sophisticated. You also learned new things and got new goodies for your machine, too. Yes, I think Easter vacation is going to be very good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful jacket. Looks very, very good.
    And I want the extra gadget too! Thanks for showing a picture of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful jacket. I love the lining and the contrasting piping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous jacket! Love the piping detail. I'd say you had a very productive vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! This has me so excited to start mine. I even looked up the Angel Weft after you proclaimed it's greatness. You look like a million dollars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the lining with the piping! This project was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful! Love all your details. They make it just so special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really am impressed with your suit. I love the details of the lining and piping. I have that tailoring book too and have found it to be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the details too. Beautiful jacket Elaray
    And wow! I didn't know about that contraption for the buttonholer - think I *need* to go buy one today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo! A very classy outfit--love the piping. Sounds like you had a great Christmas break: new machine, new toys, new skills, new clothes! It's almost a shame to go back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year! What a great jacket and fab colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous jacket! You did an outstanding work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful!!!! I really love the color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful jacket and such and eye for detail. Well done and enjoy wearing it.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely jacket. Great skirt compliement to your skirt. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful jacket, beautiful fabric and I join everybody else in praising your lining/piping treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with everyone else...it's a smart, timeless piece, and I love the piping/lining finish. I would not only wear this with a skirt for work...I'd wear it with jeans on the weekend. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete