Thursday, August 8, 2013

Finished: BSM 07-13-143

It happens every summer.  The weather begins to cool long before I finish the hot weather garments in my queue.   I fell in love with this top as soon as I saw it at the end of June.  Now it's August and I hope there are a few more days hot enough to wear it.
BSM 07-13-134


Pattern Description: 
Sleeveless top with two different front darts.

Pattern Sizing:
European Plus size range: 44 - 52

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the quirky mismatched darts.  For the gathered dart, I used clear elastic to control the gathers.  The gathered area had to be a specific length to fit within the dart.  I marked the distance on the elastic.  Then I matched the marks on the elastic with the marks on the garment by stretching the elastic as I sewed it onto the garment.  Nice smooth gathers resulted.

stretched elastic over area to be gathered (sample is pictured)
smoothly gathered dart

Fabric Used:
Rayon Batik.  I bought this fabric when I visited Les Fabriques, my favorite fabric store in Charlottesville, VA.  (The store is in it's third location since I first went there in 2008.  I'm worried that the next move will be out of business.)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The changes I made were minor.  The instructions called for a hand sewn hem.  I sewed mine by machine.  I also sewed down the neckline facing by machine.

Conclusion: 
I like this top.  It's as comfortable as a t-shirt but much cooler. It would have been perfect for the heat wave we had in July.  I'm not wishing for another heat wave, though.  Just a day or two with temperatures in the upper 80s.




8 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog for a few years now - you are sort of the bell weather for Burda Plus patterns - glad to see you are showing your entire self, not the headless photos you previously posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shape of your top and of course the color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice top. Glad to see this top on a real body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good on you. Interesting pattern with the two different darts/gathers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks good on you. I love the color and the rayon is perfect for the gathers. I wasn't sure that I'd like the gathers, but it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, Lee. I would have had doubts about the different darts, but as usual, you did a wonderful job.

    Ernestin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading you for a long while also. Love seeing you model what you are sewing also. Very nice summer top. Don't worry about running out of summer,you'll have a head start on us next year.But then you usually do year round.

    ReplyDelete