Monday, May 6, 2013

View From The Stone Mountain-top

Finally!  My Stone Mountain and Daughter purchases from PR Weekend are home where they belong.  The magenta is a cotton and will be a summer blouse, probably V1260 below.  The blue and white stripe is a knit and will be a t-shirt.  The turquoise?  I have no idea.  It doesn't look the same as it did in the store.  I had no idea what it would be when I bought it and I have less of an idea now that it is home.  It has a silk-like sheen that I didn't notice in the store.  It would make a nice MOB dress, but it's the wrong color.  Maybe I'll ignore the wedding colors and make my dress using this fabric.

V1260
I bought V1260, a Sandra Betzina Today's Fit pattern, at Stone Mountain.  I liked it so much, I didn't wait for a $3.99 sale at JoAnn.  Sandra Betzina was wearing it during the afternoon session.  She omitted the pleated trim and I will too.   I need to learn to look past the given illustration and see how I can make the pattern my own.  For example, I could use piping instead of pleated trim.

My sewing habits have really changed.  I now have 20 pieces of fabric in my collection -- more fabric than I have ever had at one time in my life.  Most sewers have lots more, but for me, this is a record. Two years ago, I would have been shocked at this fabric buying behavior.  Today, I feel no remorse whatsoever.  And, I'm beginning to buy envelope patterns more often.  I was the one who said they'd have to pry my Burda's from my cold, dead hands.  But I've bought two Vogue patterns in one month and I can't wait to sew them.  Wow.  Even I can evolve.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I think the Internet and people like Sandra have really helped. In the past I would have made up a pattern, tried it on after completion and then be disappointed because it didn't fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I'm still away from home I had my Stone Mtn fabric shipped to my parents house. Mom reported that the box arrived today and she said it looks like it had a rough trip.

    I like the color of the turquoise fabric. I say go for it as the MOB dress; I don't think the MOB attire needs to match the wedding colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Stone Mountain and Daughter! Fabrics are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely fabrics. This must be a record for you, not to have bought coordinating pieces. Only teasing. I like your choices. I have that SB pattern and have never made it. I should pull it out to use. After several years of buying few Vogues I've been buying a lot more lately. Of course the frequents online sales are a big incentive.
    Do check with your dd first about the dress. Some brides get very touchy. My dil after saying she didn't care what color the mothers wore assigned me a color.
    Have you picked out fabrics for the bride yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Stone Mountain and Daughter too. Your fabric is pretty and I have that same Sandra Betzina pattern. I hope to make it up soon.

    ReplyDelete