Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Finished: Burda 8379

If I stick to my promise to not buy any more fabric until I sew most of my cache, the next four garments I make will be dresses.   I bought navy linen late last summer, but the weather got cold before I got a chance to use it.   Since it had the most seniority, it was next in line to be sewn.  When I bought it, it was supposed to be pants, but I decided I needed dresses more and choose Burda 8379.

This dress was very easy to sew.  The neckline is faced, the sleeves are finished with bias tape and it has a center back zipper.  That's it!  Nothing more difficult than a center back zipper.

I originally planned a different dress for this fabric, but I didn't have enough of the fabric for that dress. While the style is perfect for summer, navy blue isn't really a summer color unless it's paired with white.  The simple styling make a very comfortable dress to wear in hot weather.

While photographing this dress, I auditioned a few necklaces to wear with it. I like the length of the necklace pictured, but I think I need a necklace that is a little more substantial.


Better Late Than Never

Two years ago, Faye showed off the pattern weights  she made by wrapping ribbon around large, flat washers.  I've wanted to make a set for myself ever since.  I finally got around to it!    I adapted Faye's design by using single fold bias tape instead of ribbon and wrapping two washers instead of one.

9 comments:

  1. Lee,

    I love the dress, very flattering. I think it might work for me too.

    You are right about the necklace, maybe some large beads in blue and white?

    You won't see me at Joann's for a while, I fractured my knee. Can't even sew. Bummer.

    Ernestine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your dress. Very pretty. It also has a neckline I really like, so I think I will give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much ribbons as I have in my craft stash, you would have thought that I would have come up with this on my own. I have been using washers for some time now and never thought twice about covering them! Thanks for sharing. I now have a little project that my (almost)15 year old would like to help with. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your dress. Very flattering fit and summery.
    I don't usually wear dresses, but I think I'll look at this one.
    Mermie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress looks fantastic on you. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a pretty dress. I love, love, love a sweatheart neckline. It's one that works on almost everyone. Nice job! And, I have intended to wrap my washers for a long time, and just haven't got aroudn to doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is looking great! I agree about the white bead necklace. The punch of white would add a great contrast.

    Thanks for posting the washer weight idea and the link to Faye's blog. What a great idea! I'm going to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress looks good. I agree with you about the necklace. It's a great length but a punch of color would be good. I bought the weights, I have the ribbon, but I haven't gotten around to making them yet. Maybe this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bias tape - didn't even think about that one. Actually would have saved me some cash too. I like your idea of using two washers.

    ReplyDelete