Monday, October 4, 2010

Finished: BS 04-10-140 and BS 02-10-136

The Shirt:  I like this shirt, but not necessarily with this skirt.    I think it's great as a knock-around shirt worn with jeans.  But, it might be too slouchy to work with the a skirt, even one as casual as this one.  Luckily, I have a RTW tee shirt that is more fitted and that I can wear with the skirt.  The shirt was very easy to sew; even with the eighteen buttons. It can be sewn in an evening.  The sleeves are a little long and are probably intended to be worn pushed up.  I do intend to make this shirt again.

The Skirt:  Those familiar with BurdaStyle know how much the designers love plunging necklines.  Knowing how low the necklines tend to be, imagine what those freaks folks at Burda do with a walking pleat/slit in the front and back of a skirt.   I solved the problem by sewing the inside of the front and back pleats closed for about three inches.  I can still walk comfortably, but I'm not "showing off the good china" as Peach on Project Runway so cleverly put it.  Once again, I chose a print fabric that obscured the design details of the garment.  I really like the cargo pocket, but I can't see it in the finished skirt.  I guess I'll just have to make the skirt again using a solid khaki.


10 comments:

  1. Even though the details are obscured by the print, it is a lovely skirt. I'm glad that you can use the shirt with jeans since you don't like it with the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the pic, none of the things you complain about are evident. It's a good looking combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elaray: What fabric did you make the top in? It looks terrific. I made the same top in a rib knit without much stretch and it turned out a wadder. So I was ready to dismiss that pattern totally. Now I think it might have been the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sewcat - I used an interlock knit purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics for the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspired by your fabric choices I went out yesterday and bought some fabric in a similar colour to your top. I was planning another style entirely until I saw this top. Now I want one. I adore the skirt and the print. Both of these would fit right into the travel wardrobe I'm planning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha!! I can just imagine how deep that slit was! Both are so pretty!! I'm glad you made the top, I was wondering how it looked on an realistic-size person. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both pieces, just as you say, not together. The blouse should look great with jeans or slacks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like both pieces, although I think they'd also look great with other pieces, too. I don't even think about the Burda skirt slits after seeing what they do to necklines!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of your pieces are very nice. I too, would like to see that skirt in a solid color. Khaki or olive, either one, which would show off the details to their advantage. Nice sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowsa....all those button holes on your pretty red top. So nicely done. And yes, I think the skirt blouse combo is not a knock out by any means. That is NO reflection on you...but the stylist who put them together

    ReplyDelete