Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Is Sewing Making a Comeback?

It is, if you believe Philadelphia Magazine!

Last weekend, I got an e-mail from a local independent fabric store telling me the store would be featured on an early morning news broadcast. Naturally, I watched.  The report said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Sewing is the new knitting." and cited an article in Philadelphia Magazine as it's source.  Not only has sewing been given the seal of approval by the magazine, but new stores have opened!  Cloth and Bobbin recently celebrated it's first anniversary.  Based on information on the website, it looks like Spool opened in March 2008.    It looks like the two stores carry almost identical merchandise,  i.e.  Amy Butler and Favorite Things.  

I never stopped sewing, so this isn't really a comeback to me.  But I'm glad to see new businesses opening and more publicity about sewing.I knew if I waited long enough, sewing would be "in" again.  I hope this "new sewing trend" continues.

1 comment:

  1. It is exciting for the sewing industry. Also, very happy I am "in" again!

    ReplyDelete