Monday, June 4, 2007

Sewing “Palate Cleanser”

About one year ago, I submitted pictures of my sewing room to Home Sewing Association’s web site. I was lucky enough to have my pictures selected for publication on the site and I received a box of sewing goodies for the honor. Included in the box was a copy of “Fabric Leftovers” by D’Arcy-Jean Milne. Since my primary focus is garment sewing, it isn’t the kind of book I would ever buy for myself. But, after completing several projects in succession, I needed a project to act as a “palate cleanser” - something easy to clear my mind before beginning the next garment project. So, I tried one of the projects contained in the book.

I chose a project using “Rug Canvas Fabric”. This fabric is made by weaving strips of leftover fabric into rug canvas and using a variety decorative stitches to secure the strips in the canvas. Rather than use leftover fabric, I used some of the coordinated fat quarters that were also included in my box of goodies. I really had no idea what it would be when I started, but it ended up being a fold-over wallet. I’m thinking of attaching some sort of cord or trim so that it can be used as a little over the shoulder purse for a pre-teen I know. It’s just big enough for a couple of dollars, a key and a cell phone.

The projects in this book are quick, easy and fun. I can make “Sweet Beads”, “Lazy Crazy Patchwork”, “Machine Wrap Cord” or “Button Blooms”. For an analytical control freak like me, these projects are a great way to allow my free, creative side to take over.

3 comments:

  1. I like it.Looks like a nice gift item.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this - simple and cute. BTW, I *finally* got around to adding you to my blogroll, your blog is great and I always always seem to smile when I read your posts!

    ReplyDelete