I finished this jacket last week but I wanted to have it professionally pressed before I brought it in for “Show and Tell”. (The white spot is a picture problem and not on the jacket.) I made this jacket to wear with the BWOF 09/07-129 dress and camouflage my mid-section. That mission was accomplished. But, this project had other positive outcomes.
- I successfully completed a three-dot BWOF jacket using BWOF directions! I could have used simpler directions from another source, especially for the collar/lapel, but I set a personal goal of using BWOF directions and learning the BWOF methods.
- I made modifications that were additions, not shortcuts. The original jacket was unlined. I added a full lining to the front, a partial lining to the back and I used a Hong Kong finish on the exposed seams rather than a serged finish.
- I “shopped my stash” and used fabric that I had on hand for the bias strips. Many months ago, I acquired a coordinated set of black and white fat quarters. I used the fat quarters to make bias strips for the Hong Kong finish and piping. My eco-conscious daughter, who zealously touts "reduce-reuse-recycle", would be proud of me.
- The patchwork effect in the bias strips represented a step outside my comport zone. I’m a boring, matchy-matchy type when it comes to my wardrobe. Making the pieced bias strips was “exciting”! Of course, the public will never see the patchwork effect and it is only slightly visible even to me … but I know it’s there.
A few months ago, I resolved to make each of my sewing projects "notable" . I wanted each project to do more than give me something to wear. This jacket certainly fits the criteria.