Friday, August 27, 2010

Sewetta: Easy Come, Easy Go

I took Sewetta, my new vintage machine to a repair shop for what I hoped would be a good cleaning and lubrication.  The news wasn't good.   After the technician looked her over, he asked how much I paid.  When I said $30, he said, "You paid too much."  Ouch.  The bobbin case needed to be replaced and one of the gears was damaged.  The other three gears were okay,  but the technician thought they should also be replaced because they were as old as the broken gear and might break at any time.  I set a limit for how much I would spend on repairs.  If the repairs cost more than $120, I planned to wait until I had more discretionary funds.  I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a machine that would sit in the closet most of  the time.  Unfortunately, replacing one gear and the bobbin case exceeded my limit .  The bobbin case alone cost more than I paid for the sewing machine.  One day you're in, the next day you're out.  Auf Wiedersehen, Sewetta.


Since I said I was looking for a back-up machine, Mr. Tech pointed out an unclaimed machine he was willing to sell to me for $100.  I asked if he would take Sewetta as a trade-in.  At first,  Mr. Tech said no.  After hard negotiations, he changed his mind and decided to take Sewetta and sell the unclaimed machine to me for $80.  That was less than my limit and it got Sewetta off my hands.  I said yes.   The machine is a Singer 347 from the late 60s,  just about the time I learned to sew. That gave it sentimental value.   I named her  Green Wilma, which is the title of a book I read to my daughter when she was young.  The author is from my hometown.  More sentimental value.  Best of all, Green Wilma already works, so I don't have to spend any more money to get her fixed.  Her repairs are guaranteed for a year.  And to top it all off,  Mr. Tech threw in three metal bobbins and a package of needles.

Spending an additional $80  was not as much fun as spending the original $30, but I got what I wanted: a working back-up machine.   I plan to take Green Wilma to church when our Sewing Ministry meets.  I might have let a $30 machine sit unused in the closet, but not a $110 machine.  Green Wilma has to earn her keep.

10 comments:

  1. You made the right decision. I was lucky my vintage Viking only needed the one $35 part and no tech fees due to the wonderful Seth. My vintage Singer is maybe a bit newer than yours as it uses those plastic bobbins that unscrew. But, it works and I finally found the right buttonholer for it. I don't love it as much as I love the Viking, which will be a wonderful back up machine when I have to take in the main machine. I have to say that I am not impressed with the new Vikings. I don't embroider, I don't quilt I don't do home dec unless coerced so the new machines jus have nothing that appeals to me. It's pretty apparent why so many people are looking for vintage machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! You made lemonade out of a lemon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch (and gulp). I'm refurbishing my first vintage machine and so far my repair costs have been minimal but include a lot of elbow grease. I think you made the right decision since I just went to a trusted sewing machine repairman and saw I could have bought a few others for around what this is going to cost me in the end...but I *did* pick this machine up as a "project machine" and I'm having fun. Enjoy your new sewing friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Robin! Enjoy that lemonade when you take Green Wilma out to play!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you made a not-so-good situation turn into a very good situation. Enjoy your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Green Wilma, so looks so familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking machine, I'm sure she will make it worth your while

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks just like my first sewing machine. I wish I still had it. A great work horse machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All ends well..that is a very nice looking machine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a totally beautiful machine.

    ReplyDelete