Monday, August 16, 2010

My Little Black Dress

Burda 7666: Dress B & Jacket C
I've put it off as long as possible. I told myself I have to finish all of my summer projects first. But the calendar isn't cooperating.  I have to start this dress!

In October, I have an occasion that requires a dressy dress.  It's been a very long time since I've had to get glam and I'm looking forward to it.  I chose Burda 7666 for it's classic lines.  I didn't want to stray away from the recommended fabric, crepe backed satin.  I found a few very pretty colors, but I  chose to use black instead.  Yes, black is a boring color for dressy dresses but you really can't go wrong with a little black dress.  We larger women have to be careful when we go formal.  I'm using a sparkly chiffon for the bodice overlay to keep it from being totally boring.  I don't expect any fit surprises, but I'm still making a muslin.  That's why I've put off this project for so long.  I don't like making muslins.  Yes, experience has taught me how important muslins are, especially in a project for a special occasion, but I still don't like making them.  

The timing couldn't be better.  The summer program in which I worked ended on Aug. 13.  That gives me two full weeks to work on this dress before (shudder) school starts.  So, I'll be up to my elbows in muslin and black satin for a while.  I usually don't post during the work-in-progress stage, but if things get interesting, I'll send up a cry for help.

8 comments:

  1. As I said over on PR, I really like this dress and jacket. You are making the jacket too? I do hope that you will post the muslin stages. It's very instructive to see how other sewers solve fit problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great style. Hope the muslin shows few alterations and the final dress is what you want :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a nice pattern. I like the idea of sparkling it up a bit. Keep us in the loop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea of the sparkly bodice. I wouldn't have thought of that. What a lovely way to add something to a simple dress. Crepe backed satin is one of my favourite fabrics of all times. This will be a really pretty outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your black with sparky chiffon overlay sounds really nice. Enjoy your time off & sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress really is going to look glam. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty style, have fun making it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see it, Lee. Have fun making it. Annette

    ReplyDelete