Monday, August 2, 2010

Finished: Top BWOF 05-05-139 and Shorts Burda 8087

After much unnecessary agonizing, I decided to make the BWOF top rather than the Kwik Sew top.  Connie said it best.  The Kwik Sew top "yells scrub nurse" and that wasn't the look I was going for. : ) This outfit should be the end of my casual summer sewing.  It's time to get back to sewing my work wardrobe.

Top BWOF 05-05-139

Pattern Description:
Short sleeved tunic with darts and front and back princess seams

Pattern Sizing: European Plus size 46 - 52

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes and I was glad. I used a large scale print and I wasn't sure if that was the best choice. The pattern photo showed a large scale print.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. I hardly needed them. The construction couldn't have been more straightforward.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I wanted a simple design that wouldn't clash with the large scale print fabric.  I was concerned about interrupting the print with seams and darts.  I needn't have worried.  I can barely see the princess seams and darts in this blouse.

Fabric Used: A nice drapey challis I named "Indigo Batik"

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The original pattern was tunic length. I shortened it to blouse length.

Conclusion:
I'm glad I finally made this blouse. It's I simple design that can be worn in a variety of ways.



Shorts Burda 8087

Pattern Description:
Typical fly front pants in two lengths.

Pattern Sizing:
The envelope includes sizes 10 to 24 (European 36 - 50)

Were the instructions easy to follow?
This pattern had no surprises so the instructions are hardly necessary.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I wanted a simple pattern for shorts and this pattern fit the bill nicely.

Fabric Used:
A loose weave linen bought specifically to coordinate with the Indigo Batik.  The weave was so loose, it was practically coming apart in my hands.   I serged all of the edges to prevent raveling.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The shorts are shown at a length I really didn't care for, below the knee, so I chopped off about 6 inches.

Conclusion: 
This pattern will be my TNT for shorts.  I haven't made the long version, but I'm sure I will like them also.

– • – • – • – • – • – • – • – • – • – •


$25 and worth every penny
I learn a lot from OSBs (Online Sewing Buddies).  For example, I first learned about this pincushion from Ann of Gorgeous Things.  When I read about the pincushion on Ann's blog, I immediately went to Susan Khalje's store to take a look.  I don't mind admitting, at first I couldn't see spending $25 on a pincushion.    I mean, what could it do other than hold pins?  Then Gwen of All My Seams recommended it, too.  I asked her what made this pincushion so special and she told me how comfortable it was and told me, "you only live once"!  I couldn't argue with that, so I bought one!

Both women were right!  This is a great pincushion. It's so lightweight, I forget I'm wearing it.  It doesn't slide all around my wrist.  It's easier to pull pins out than to pry them from the magnetic surface of a Grabbit or magnetic wrist pincushion.  It really is possible to love a pincushion!  Yes, $25 is too much to spend on a pin cushion, but what good is a hobby if I can't splurge on it occasionally. 

The next time an OSB (or even a sewing muggle) is excited about anything, I won't so much as raise an eyebrow. I'll investigate the situation and probably follow suit.

14 comments:

  1. dang, your top and and your shorts look awesome. and I loved your comment about a sewing muggle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blouse is beautiful and flattering. I am so glad you went with this one and I like the shorter length. Gorgeous color too. As I have found, boxy makes us look fat, this on the other hand takes off 10 pounds. I went and looked at the pattern and it looks like a good platform for changing details or adding them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice on the top pattern - it looks great. Nice shorts too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tropical outfit - the colour is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The top turned out great, you made the right choice. It is great outfit for hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice outfit! I can see it going on a cruise! I'm so glad you love your pincushion. It is awesome, isn't it? Definitely worth the money, and it's so well made that it will last for many years. Happy sewing (and pinning)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the outfit! I signed on to the internet before I left for work, I saw the top and then I pulled out the this issue of BWOF to explore over lunchtime. I've muslined an older Butterick pattern so I can make a woven top and I wasn't liking the results. your top looks much nicer. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  8. as someone who also has a problem with the marriage of fabric and pattern, I know about questioning your decisions, but your choice this time was right on.
    about that pincushion, I am really tempted, but since I retired maybe it isn't such a good idea.
    I want that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely outfit. I love the print and colors.

    I've been so eying that
    pin cushion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also went and looked at Khahlje's website and dang, I need one of those pincusions too. I understand she has great pins too. I also want her cd book and I regret not having bought it when it was in print, since I like print better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm working on figuring out the pattern number.
    05-05-139 That's May of 2005?
    The top looks great, by the way!
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your top is worth every bit of the agonizing which preceded the completed outfit. It is beautiful.

    Regarding the wristlet, this is where the "cheap" in me comes out - before I buy one I just need to think about how I could make something similar. Hmmmm.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pieces look great and are very flattering on you. Love it!

    ReplyDelete