Monday, May 11, 2009

Next: Vogue 7903 & 2913

I admit it. When it comes to sewing, I exhibit quite a few OCD tendencies. I haven't been formally diagnosed, but I know it's there. My next project is a perfect case study.

Several weeks ago, I decided to try Sandra Betzina's Today's Fit patterns because of the promise of "new pattern sizing" 1 and patterns that "run true to the numbers".1 For the past 2 years, I've made BWOFs almost exclusively (OCD tendency #1). So, when Vogues were on sale, I bought a few Today's Fit patterns. I did not consider regular Vogues, only Today's Fit. (OCD tendency #2) I assigned some fabric to the blouse pattern and found a BWOF pattern for the pants. I prefer to make coordinating outfits rather than individual pieces. (OCD #3) Since I was experimenting with a Today's Fit blouse and since Vogue patterns went on sale again, I decided to extend the experiment to Today's Fit pants. I mean, I couldn't wear a Vogue blouse with BWOF pants. (OCD #4) so I set aside the BWOF pattern in favor of a Vogue pattern. I actually felt some relief when I had matching Vogues – as if I'd averted some catastrophe! (Definitive OCD!) Of course, I can tell myself that I'm simply experimenting with a different pattern company and I need to experiment with both blouses and pants. But deep down inside, I know that really isn't the case. It's just a touch of OCD.

_____________

1 Power Sewing Step-by-Step, Betzina, Sandra, Taunton Press 2000


*~*~*~*~*~ Breaking News *~*~*~*~*~

The winner of the Sew Easy Embellishments give-away is Summerset!
Congrats, Summerset.

14 comments:

  1. Measure, measure, measure. Compare flat pattern measurements with your preferred ease in your garments. Any pattern can be made to fit your specifications if you measure. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you think of the Sandra Betzina patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm OCD, but not in that way, LOL. Glad you found two Vogues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have our little quirks. At least you don't have any orphans with your strategy. I am interested in hearing how the blouse fits. It's attractive. It's also more fitted than you usually sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, you're a different OCD than I but I still relate! I think mine's more fabric oriented...anyway, I made up that blouse and reviewed it at PR (MaryBeth). I'm still wearing it and enjoying it. I sure didn't need to do the FBA, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're too funny! I like the colors of the fabrics you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you made me laugh. I'm with you on the OCD thing. I suspect all of us who sew have OCD tendencies in one direction or another. You should see my colour coded magnetic pin holders. Nancy K was right, this is more fitted than normal, so I'll be interested to see how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found you. I love your blog! I'll be back.

    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting :)
    I like your pattern/fabric choices.
    I've made up Sandra Betzina patterns and have been very pleased. I hope you are too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I don' t think having OCD is so bad when it apply to sewing. I'm thinking it's time for me to start sewing again. Knitting is great, but sewing is my true love. I'm missing it more and more. Thanks for helping me to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this post, you do not have OCD tendencies, you are just particular about your sewing patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least you have an outfit when done instead of a lonely orphan piece - very commendable. I have this vogue blouse pattern so I am really interested in seeing what you think of it. The one muslin I did of SB's 8151? knit top I goofed up but I did not know what I was doing and did a contorted incorrect messed up too big fba that I probably did not even need to do. I plan to try it again this fall and hopefully do a better job of getting it to fit since I since purchased some fit books and dvds.Your outfits look and fit nicely. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete