Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Finished: Kwik Sew 3276


Pattern Description: Jacket and skirt with tank top. Skirt has elastic waist.

Pattern Sizing: 1x - 4x

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Kwik Sew instructions are always easy to follow. I didn't follow them to the letter and I realized too late, I should have. The instructions said "Fold under raw edges [of facings] 1/4" and press". I thought I knew better and serged the raw edges instead. When the jacket falls open, as it is certain to do, a serged edge, not a neatly folded edge will be visible. Lesson learned: think about changes before I make them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Kwik Sew patterns are not known for their style or design details. I chose this pattern because it was well-suited for a specific occasion. If there is anything to like, it's that it was quick and easy.

Fabric Used: Skirt & jacket - Polyester/lycra micro-gabardine; Top - 100% polyester – both from Vogue Fabrics by Mail

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: The instructions for the tank top were to simply overcast the neckline and armholes, fold 3/8" hems to the wrong side, press and stitch. I used a double bias binding instead.

Conclusion: This pattern makes up quickly and easily into a nice summer outfit.

11 comments:

  1. Looks very pretty, wonderful color. I do the same thing sewing, just jump right in and then realize I should have read a bit closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot to be said for quick and easy, right? Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaray, this is so pretty!!! I love the colors and I can tell they look very good on you. Thanks for your review as well. Me and Kwik Sew are going to be good buddies because I need easy sewing. I agree with Lindsay's comment as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely outfit. It can go anywhere. It looks like it would something great to wear on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this on you. The style suits you and the colors look great on you. The print in the blouse is very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good, ladies. Great looking outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice - sometimes the simpler patterns can really be the most elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this pattern last year and want to copy your outfit. It looks great. I made a couple of everyday tops last summer and also found those serged inside fronts to be not the best choice as I like to wear them open. I thought I was just being overy picky but apparently not since you say you don't like them either. I plan to turn under edges in the future in that area. Thanks for the warning before I did that to this top also. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the previous comments - great colors on you. Nice, coordinating outfit. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The whole outfit is great. I especially like the blue tropical print!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful and elegant outfit!

    ReplyDelete