Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Senior Snowball Gown - Pt. 3

I'm making steady progress on the Snow Ball Gown. Monday night, I inserted the invisible zipper into the side of the dress. I usually get a funky bubble at the bottom of invisible zippers. Lots of basting seems to have solved that problem. First I basted to mark the seam lines on the front and back. Then I basted and stitched the zipper to the back. Since the seam line was clearly visible, it was easy to place the coils on the seam line. Next, I closed the zipper and positioned it on the front seam line. When I was sure of a placement that eliminated the funky bubble, I pinned and basted the other zipper tape onto the front so the zipper wouldn't shift during sewing. The funky bubble is virtually gone! (Yellow arrow below indicates the bottom of the zipper.) I've changed my mind about basting. It really does make a difference.



7 comments:

  1. I can totally relate, when I first started to sew, I didn't care for basting. it took way to look, but now I do it all the time, especially on fabrics I will hate to get needles in if I had to rib it out you know... and I read you post below, I'm happy you enjoyed the podcast and it inspired you, hopefully I can get you on there with me sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is coming along. I have another one to make for another dance in December... not a formal this time, just a cute dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! Basting makes a huge difference. You actually save time by basting and not having to rip out something that has been supposedly stitched in permanently. Basting is a major thing I emphasize to beginning sewers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice job with that zipper :)

    www.domestichaven.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on the zipper - not a single bubble to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with the zipper! Basting does makes a difference! It solves many problems when everything else fails!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh just too pretty - I love that red. You ARE so lucky she lets you sew for her. Mine refuses!

    ReplyDelete