Thursday, June 18, 2009

Who Bought This Fabric?

This fabric has been troubling me since I bought it. What was I thinking? No, it couldn't have been me. I think my evil twin, Elaroops, bought this fabric and slipped it into my closet when I wasn't looking. I've changed my mind about the pattern for this fabric at least three times. That was the first sign of trouble. When I assign a pattern to a fabric, usually it stays assigned. As of this minute, I've decided on Kwik Sew 3586, but who knows – I may change my mind again! I finally put my finger on the problem – it's plaid! I looked in my closet. I don't have a lot of plaid. Why not? Because I don't really like plaid. So why did I buy this fabric? I don't know – I must have liked it when I bought it. Usually, I have a feeling of excited anticipation when I start a new project. Not so with this fabric. I just want to sew it up and get it out of the way. When my sewing projects are destined to implode, there is a point where I admit defeat and projects change from "garments" to "learning experiences". That usually happens when I'm almost finished and I realize the garment isn't going to fit. It rarely happens before I even start! At least I'll get practice working with plaids. Although I don't know why I need the practice because I can't see myself buying another plaid ever in life. After this ordeal is over, at least I'll have a new shirt for knocking around. And who knows … maybe I'll like it better when it is made up into a shirt.

8 comments:

  1. Elaray...I have an evil twin too.
    Right now I am blaming 2 pieces of beautiful but "diagonal" fabric on her, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a few plaids as well and other fabrics that I now think ... What??!! I'm thinking, what poor taste I had. Anyway, I've been purging recently and giving fabric away.

    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like plaids either. It's just horizontal stripes in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you really don't like it--consider using it as a muslin. Then you can feel free to rid yourself of it after a fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had similar experience recently. I found a piece of fabric that I had obviously bought, but realised I didn't actually like very much. The colours matched other things I had been making, so I decided on a pattern that suited the fabric and cut it out. I started sewing, with what I realise now was less care than normal, and it turned into a complete wadder. I felt compelled to finish it because I must have bought the fabric for a reason, probably because it was cheap at the tiem. It was only a two hours of my time but I felt a little cheated afterwards. I've come to the conclusion that I do not have to make every piece of fabric in my stash and if I don't actually LOVE it, I am not going to sew it any more because I certainly did not enjoy the experience. If you don't wear plaids, you'll never need the practice to match them and if you do decide to start wearing plaids, you'll get it right first time on a piece of fabric that you DO love because you are more than skilled enough to do that. I say put it aside and do something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I always love a good plaid. Not sure how this one followed you home, but if you're not really into it, don't sew it! No one is making you use this fabric. If you don't love it now, you might love it made into something, either. Have a give away or something and let it go with a free conscience to a good home. Unless of course, this piece has some sentimental value to you, then yes, it might have to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you don't love it now, you won't love it later! Also, plaids can be difficult to work with, which will add to the hate factor. I say, give it away, make pillow covers, or a couple of aprons out of it and make something you really do love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you don't like the plaid for a garment, perhaps you could use it for piping in another project.

    ReplyDelete