Saturday, June 13, 2009

Next: BWOF 03-07-130B – The Pants That Almost Weren't

When I buy fabric, I usually buy coordinating pieces so I can make an "outfit" rather than "separates" that don't go with anything else in my closet. The only way I can be sure a garment has a mate is to buy coordinating fabric and make both pieces at the same time. If an "old maid" slips in, I'm not satisfied until it has a mate. I'm the Dolly Levi of my wardrobe.

I followed my modus operandi when I bought this linen. I bought a plaid to make a blouse to be worn with this linen, but I kept changing my mind about the pattern. I was paralyzed by indecision. Then, I had an epiphany! I realized the pattern choices were not the problem, but the "marriage" of the linen and the plaid. I just didn't like the way they looked together. (That's been happening alot lately.) I checked my closet and found both pants that matched the plaid and a t-shirt that matched the linen. Granting a fabric divorce and knowing the garments made from these fabrics would not end up old maids liberated me. I finally felt confident and ready to use the fabric!

I'm excited about this project because it presents an opportunity for embellishment of which I hope to take advantage. BWOF suggests cutting the pocket band from embroidered linen or, embroider the band myself using the motif included. I have neither embroidered linen nor the equipment (or desire) to embroider myself, but I do want to embellish the pocket band in some way. I've got a few ideas simmering in my brain and, with the impasse is behind me, I'm eager to get started.

9 comments:

  1. Cute pattern, Elaray. Have fun deciding on the embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divorcing fabrics... you crack me up. You've been very busy lately. Now that you've learned to bend you're own rule, I bet magic will happen. Other fabric will start dating, new fabrics will hook up, think of the possibilities. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those pants. I like your concept of coordinating pieces, but if your wardrobe is anything like mine, I only have a narrow color palette so most things go together. The issue is more of proportion and what looks good with pants may not look good with a skirt.
    I like the idea of two tops for each bottom as the tops are usually worn once, especially in the summer and bottoms more than once. Of course, not it they are white!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! You've satisfied your OCD and got two new outfits, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have usually made separate pieces; then I'm frustrated because I have nothing to wear with it. I'll have to start planning outfits. Makes a lot more sense. Cute top, by the way, in the previous post.

    Regards,

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just crack me up! With all of these matches and divorces, we might have to be on the lookout for a Ménage à trois! This is a great pants pattern with lots of possibilites. Knowing you, I'm sure you'll make something very stylish out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Divorcing fabrics - what a hoot! Let's hope that they did not require counseling as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pattern choice.Have fun with the pockets :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm. I like that idea of not having orphaned clothes, that seems reallly important to keeping the sewing productive. But I'm not sure about the buying the fabric together rule. Much of my most successful matches weren't from the same store, sometimes not even the same continent :-).
    Maybe the reason you're having trouble with frequent divorces lately lies in the direction of changing tastes? You're maybe feeling more adventurous color-wise or something? Feeling the need for more texture contrast? Maybe you do need to go in the direction of a more restricted palette, so more of your stuff goes together and not just the few decreed to do so at buying time?
    I go by a similar rule, but one more flexible which has worked for me, I think I found it in an old Palmer-Pltesch book. It goes like this: don't sew anything that doesn't go with at least one item already in your closet, preferably two. This has totally eliminated orphans for me, in fact I've sometimes gotten rid of fabric pieces that clearly were mistakes before investing the time to finish them. And still I have great flexibility. Plus everything I make is immediately usable, I get to wear it the day I finish it which is a psychological plus not to be neglected. And it has led to buying restraint when I know I couldn't possibly squeeze this piece of fabric in even if I finished my entire stash..

    ReplyDelete