Friday, September 4, 2009

Finished: BWOF 05-2009-133

Pattern Description: BWOF describes this dress as a "shirtwaister". I always think of June Cleaver when I think of a shirtwaist dress. The dress has a high waist and gathering under the bust. The sleeves can be rolled-up; I just didn't roll them up for the picture.

Pattern Sizing: European plus size: 46 - 52

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Basically, yes. I did not include the collar.

Were the instructions easy to follow? This dress has inseam pockets. The instructions got a little fuzzy when the pockets were addressed, so I went my own way when I reached that point.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This dress has a high waist. This silhouette is good for people like me, afflicted with what I call NDW - No Discernible Waist. As always, BWOF has really nice design details. The long front pleats are sewn from the inside and top-stitched on the outside. I'd like to pause here and disclose some very personal information: I'm in love with my edge-stitch foot. (If I could only find a man I could love as much as I love my edge-stitch foot!) It allowed me to sew a narrow, yet consistent distance from the pleat – about 1/8 inch – with hardly any thought. The back darts have the same treatment. A strip is sewn inside the dart to support the top-stitching. (Next time, I'll remember to cut the strip on the bias to reduce the fraying.)

Fabric Used: A medium weight twill purchased from Vogue Fabrics' swatch club. This fabric was a pleasure to sew. It was much more stable than the last project, which ended up in the trash with no regrets.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:The original pattern had a collar. I didn't have enough fabric to include the collar. I don't know how that happened. I always, always always buy more fabric than I need. But somehow I didn't have enough for the collar. It wasn't a problem, because I didn't like the collar anyway. It was no sacrifice to give it up. I lengthened the bodice so that the high waist would be lower than my low bust line.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I really like this dress and I recommend it. I think it would flatter most body types.

Conclusion: This dress needs jewelry! I now have a reason to buy a new necklace with substance!

15 comments:

  1. Great dress! It looks cool for this transitional season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this dress, such pretty details and you look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful classic dress, with some nifty details that makes it really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I agree with Nancy: perfect transitional dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it on you! You're right, it is a great shape for you - gives you a lovely neckline and a more defined waist. Those sorts of collars always seem odd to me, too and the dress really didn't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dress on you! Good eye to see that it would work perfectly w/o the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elaray, this is a great dress on you! I love it!

    I know you don't often do repeats, but you should reconsider for this dress. Even shorten it and make a blouse.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This empire waist is a good shape for you. Very nice. I too, love edgestitch foot. However, I am fickle, and sometimes love other feet as well. I am shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice dress. I think you're right. A big, bold necklace would look perfect with this dress. Also, since the dress has no collar, it will work great with scarves in the fall. This style is flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice looking dress! It truly looks great on you. I like the stitched pleats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking good, lady. Good opportunity to buy new necklace. I see you belong to the Vogue fabrics club. I love Vogue Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dress is lovely. I love the colour, too. I think it's really flattering and gives you a lovely shape. I agree with Debbie Cook, it's a style you should do again. If you're buying a nice chunky necklace of some sort, perhaps you could even go for the safari look, if you like it. I once had a big necklace with carved wooden giraffes and elephants hanging from it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look wonderful in this dress.It fits you perfect and I like it without the collar.The fabric is a perfect choice too.(I must look into the Vogue Fabrics club?)

    ReplyDelete