Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Quilting : Sewing :: Sewing : Quilting

My grand plan was to alternate sewing and quilting and I've been moderately successful in sticking to that "sew-quilt-sew-quilt" schedule. Although, I did sneak an extra "sew" session in when I sewed my last dress. (So, sue me!)

Quilting

The "Tradewinds" quilt top* is finally finished. The "old OCD me" would have obsessed over the placement of the blocks. The "new me" just grabbed blocks from the pile and placed them randomly. Well, not entirely. I didn't want blocks containing the same strip sets to be adjacent so I had to do just a little planning. But that's all the thought I put into it. Getting the corners to come together precisely was a challenge. That isn't obsessive – it's good quilting. Hopefully, I'll get better with time. I want to finish this before the weather gets cold. I think it will be a perfect quilt for cocooning under when I fall asleep in front of the watch TV. I have to buy the backing and batting next, so this is a good place to stop quilting and start sewing.

*Free "Tradewinds" and more quilt patterns here.

Sewing

My next sewing project uses one of the fabrics my daughter brought back from Morocco. The black and white is glossy, fairly stable but still silky enough to warrant careful laying out and cutting. Since the fabric has sentimental value and I want the blouse to turn out well. The solid black is a stretch twill. I also want the pants to turn out well because the next two blouses in my queue are meant to be worn with these pants. (Here comes the OCD again!) Just so I'm in the right frame of mind when I start this outfit, I'm going to take some time off and not sew anything. An organization I belong to is sponsoring a flea market and I'm in charge of the food table. It's going to be a busy week with little time for sewing anyway.

13 comments:

  1. Very pretty quilt and your next sewing project looks terrific. What beautiful fabric your daughter brought you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice quilt! I have been thinking about trying a baby quilt sor some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing that top. It's on my list for the winter. Your quilt looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is wonderful - love the pattern. At first I thought it was a pinwheel pattern, but I like the name Tradewinds. Love your sentimental fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt is truly beautiful and I envy your patience. Good luck with the black and white fabric, it's going to look lovely in that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is very pretty. And I love the dress from your last post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt came out great. Looks like you been going it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt. I can no longer sit and watch TV without falling asleep. That's why I sew now, so I can watch TV, as I sew, without falling asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so loving the new black/white combo for the next outfit! I'm sure you will do a fabulous job with the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a wonderful job with your quilt. It looks beautiful...and I like your fabric for your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course I'm loving the new black and white combo for your next outfit. It's got a nice amount of drama going for it.

    ReplyDelete