Saturday, August 29, 2009

Why I Prefer Independent Fabric Stores

Chain stores have their place. But, I've always preferred independent fabric stores. Once again, an independent fabric store performed services I would never expect from a chain.

My daughter needed curtains for the kitchen and dining area of her off-campus housing. We have totally different tastes so I didn't want to pick out fabric without her input. The only guidance she gave me was, "The rug in the dining room is blue". I went to Cloth and Bobbin in Narberth, PA, where I'd taken a beginning quilting class. My plan was get Lindsey's input electronically by using my cell phone to take pictures and transmit them to her so she could approve the fabric. However, I couldn't get a signal on my cell phone. It seems T-Mobile doesn't work well in Narberth. (Sorry T-Mobile! In my opinion, you suck.) Johanna, Cloth & Bobbin's kind and generous owner, offered to take the pictures with her cell phone and transmit them to Lindsey. The cell phone pictures were too small for Lindsey to accurately judge, so Johanna scanned the fabrics into her computer and e-mailed them. Linds and her housemate chose the fabric they liked, I bought it and drove home - happy and satisfied!!! Can you imagine that level of customer service from a chain store? I can't either.

So, if you find yourself in the Philadelphia suburbs and looking for fabric, I strongly recommend Cloth & Bobbin. Johanna sells primarily quilting cottons and notions; Amy Butler, Favorite Things and Oliver + S patterns, but she is considering stocking Kwik Sew Patterns. The local chain store is more conveniently located, but good customer service is worth a few extra miles.

9 comments:

  1. So nice to read such a great story.
    There "are" people out there that are willing to help others. Sometimes getting any information or assistance from an employee is frustrating but this is above and beyond. so glad it worked out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely A+ customer service. I love hearing these type stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant customer service! Which of course pays off with the good word-of-mouth recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANY fabric store within 200kms of where I live would be good with me! I'd be happy to pay for more an independent store. Do we get to see the finished curtains?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol: The curtains have already been packed and are ready to mail. Sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! I wish there were more independent fabric stores out there! thanks for the post!
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to own an independent fabric shop! lol I, also, love shopping at local fabric shops...although there isn't many.

    ReplyDelete