Friday, September 11, 2009

Next: BPF SS-09-406

My next dress is from Spring/Summer 2009 Burda Plus Fashion. I really wish Burda would be less artsy-fartsy with the photographs. I'm concerned about the collar and epaulets on this dress, but I can't really tell how they look on a human body - even the perfectly proportioned non-plus sized model body in the photograph. I have a thick neck and broad shoulders and I wouldn't want to call attention to those features with an unusual collar and epaulets. Maybe a muslin of the bodice would be in order. (Gee, ya think!)

While I work through the items currently in my queue, I'm going to seriously consider a mini wardrobe. I have to keep it small and simple – two bottoms and two tops that can be mixed and matched. I'd love to sew a few pieces and get several different outfits like I've seen in the magazines, but I just can't get the math to work out! It's going to take more than four pieces to do that. Since I'm challenged in color coordination, I'm depending on the coordinated selections offered in Vogue Fabrics swatch subscription. The next time I see suitable swatches, I'm snatching them up.

8 comments:

  1. I will repeat the advice that Shannon gave me when I was planning my wardrobe. Find something that you absolutely have to make and build your wardrobe around that. Mine is the Oscar de la Renta jacket and the rest of the colors I took from the silk print. Try two bottoms and maybe 3 tops and one jacket or cardigan. That will give you more options. The other advice I'll give is to buy yourself the Pantone Shopping color guide and you can pull colors you like and then take them fabric shopping with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the very same problem! I love the idea of sewing a few pieces that will result in numerous outfits. Makes so much sense to me too. My problem is the color coordination. I've got to figure this SWAP thing out so it works for me. But I so need something other than black and white, and brown really isn't one of my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, a muslin will tell you so many things you need to know. But you know me, the queen of muslin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had my eye on this pattern! Love the lavendar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should add a jacket or topper to the mix. It would give you more flexibility with mixing and matching the pieces and I think using the Vogue Fabrics coordinates is a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the dress. I think it will look nice on you. The tech drawing of the collar may be a little high for you, but I think the epaulets will look nice. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about the artsy fartsy photos. It's hard to see what the dress actually looks like on the body. The colour you've chosen will look great on you. I would leave the epaulets off, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, make a muslin. That's gonna be my rule of Fall 2009 sewing. I think this could look great on you but take a test drive first.

    ReplyDelete