Saturday, September 19, 2009

Finished: BPF SS-09-406

Pattern Description:
High waisted dress with epaulets, high collar, buttoned front bodice, and four panel skirt.

Pattern Sizing:
European plus size 46 - 54

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Considering the typical BWOF instructions, these instructions were easy to follow.

Pressing the collar seams open over a point presser is a step typically omitted from most instructions, especially BWOF instructions. This fabric was slightly heavier than standard blouse or dress weight fabrics and the collar seams really needed to be pressed open before turning. The edges are so much neater once the collar is turned right side out! That is a step I sometimes omit, but no more.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the high waist silhouette on this dress.

Fabric Used:
A linen-look purchased from Jo-Ann. I fell in love with the color. It was prone to ravel, but the raveling was easily tamed by serging.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
One of the design features on this dress is the high collar, achieved by an extremely high collar stand. I wasn't sure if the collar would be flattering. After making a muslin of just the bodice, I decided to change the collar by bringing down the collar stand by about 1/2 an inch. I also lengthened the bodice so that the seam would fall below my bustline.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
This could very easily be a TNT dress pattern. It's a basic style and I should be able to make design changes and customize it. I don't usually make patterns more than once, but this pattern deserves a second or third attempt.

Conclusion:
When I first tried on this dress during the sewing process, I thought, "Oooo, I like this dress!" Then, I thought, "Carolyn would have a field day playing with this pattern!".

11 comments:

  1. *LOL* This pattern is actually on my must sew list! I have 2 or 3 from the Burda Plus mags on my list - its just that I have more list than I have time!!!

    I love the color of this dress and it looks pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful fall color. I did some snoop shopping today and that color was all over the place. Good choice and nice fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This colour is great on you! It's a really flattering style and I'm sure it's comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great dress! I can imagine this dress looking great when made of many different fabrics. I think you have a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect fabric for the dress!!! Love, no LOVE, the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the color & the dress looks great on you !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking dress! Like the look on you. Great fall color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that is a great dress for you! You look so tall and long in it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great dress on you! I concur about the high stand. I often make this kind of change for my short neck, it is not only more flattering, but more comfortable too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with all the other compliments bestowed upon you: looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another fantastic fitting dress. Great choice and collar changes looks very flattering :)

    ReplyDelete