Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Finished: BWOF 12/04 #144 & BWOF 09/05 #129C


I'm taking a huge risk posting this picture. If the press got this picture, it would totally destroy my chances of being elected president. Remember Gary Hart? Just like Gary challenged the press to "follow me around", I challenged BWOF and ignored the fabric recommendations. The recommendation was for fabric with stretch and I didn't use it. The results, as you can see, were disastrous. It's the same size I always use, and I made the same adjustments I always make. I can't blame the pattern. If this picture gets out and my political career is dashed against the rocks, I could get over losing the presidency. I might not get over losing these pants. In keeping with my resolution to embrace "slow sewing" and "enjoy the journey", I took such care with these pants. My stitches in the ditch were practically invisible. My edge stitching was precise. I was proud enough of my work to make new labels. It's a real shame I can't wear them. The fit is horrendous. I never wear blouses tucked in and, yes, the blouse would hide my belly. But the pants just aren't comfortable. I feel like I'd bust right out of them if I bent over. Fortunately, I have another pair of pants to wear with the blouse.



And, fortunately, the blouse turned out better.


I took just as much care making the blouse. Usually, my collar stands are less than stellar. I took my time and the results were better. The edge stitch foot was a tremendous asset in the construction of this blouse.



Even a bad experience, like the pants, can teach something. So, what have I learned?
  1. It's never a bad idea to take my time and do my best sewing on every project.
  2. I should pay attention to the fabric recommendations
  3. I really could stand to lose a few pounds.

7 comments:

  1. That's too bad about the pants - they whole outfit is really nice! You have such a great attitude, taking away a few lessons rather than getting angry about the whole thing. What are you going to do with the pants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking on the bright side, the blouse more than made up for the pants.

    In answer to your comment on my blog, with a little more warning I'd love to meet up with you on 4th Street sometime. It's always a pleasure to have someone to shop with. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry the pants didn't work--at least the top is totally terrific. Maybe another shot in "the proper fabric".....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about the pants... But your blouse turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about your pants but your post made me smile! And I LOVE your labels!!!! Are you making them on your embroidery machine? Finally, I'm glad that you learned a few lessons and I know that you will apply them to your next garment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there -- done that!! Made this one skirt in a suede like fabric and boy did I pay for it.. talk about NO give!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elaray,

    Well I certainly know what it's like to go against Burda's recommendations myself (sigh)--I did it twice this year & paid for it. BUT you do learn a lot this way (and not just to do what they say :) ). The blouse is lovely though, so at least you came out of it with something to wear.

    BTW, how do you make those labels?

    ReplyDelete