Monday, November 26, 2007

Let's Be Careful Out There

I received the following email recently. Parts have been edited.

Dear Candidate,

Do you need a job? Would you like to work online from home? Can you spare one hour daily? If you enjoy working from home then I think this would be
a perfect job for you. Our job is a flextime, flex-place opportunity
designed to fit around your family's income and time needs.

Name deleted fabrics ltd is a UK based company looking for energetic and committed individuals to fill the part-time receivables clerk position in the United States . As a receivables clerk, you will be in charge of processing and facilitating payment funds transfers initiated by our US clients under the supervision of the regional manager. A perfect candidate should be a good communicator who is also comfortable with numbers. College education or basic administrative experience is a plus to this job.

We presently run a Fabric Company in United Kingdom and have been in the business for sometime now; we have reached a big sales volume of fabric/textile materials in Europe and also some part of Asia . We are now trying to penetrate into the US market but have been experiencing some problems when it comes to receiving payment due to the location of my clients. My clients sometimes make payments for our supplies in form of checks amounting from $2,000 to $100,000 and sometimes more depending on the quantity of stock purchased. These checks are not readily cash able outside the United States . I need someone in the states to work as our representative and assist us in processing these payments and I will be willing to pay 10% for every transaction made.


Contact information deleted

Expecting your mail soonest.

Yours truly,
name deleted
name deleted Fabrics ltd United Kingdom

Call me suspicious, but this screams "phishing scam and fraud" to me. The email address given is from server at which I have an email account; not a commercial email domain like NameDeletedFabrics.com. I'm going to contact the owner of the server to inform them of this situation. This is not the first time I've been phished. This is the first time I've been phished with such specific bait. It was very easy to get my email from my sewing related blog and to use that information to try and "reel me in". All scams are not this obvious.
Please, please, please - be very careful when using the Internet.
Scammers are out there and they have many ways to find victims.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I agree that just screams SUSPICIOUS! How scary. Thanks for passing on the warning. It will be interesting to see what the server says...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received messages of this nature on my gmail account and they automatically get sent to spam. I report and delete them. However, it is annoying to receive them in your mailbox particularly the penis enhancement messages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise decision. They sure try to tempt us, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up. You would not believe the amount of spam I receive daily. Most popular ones: winning the lottery. What's next?

    ReplyDelete