Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Even When I Don't Like BWOF, I like BWOF

I was looking at the December Plus selections on Burdamode.com. My initial reaction was "Ugh! I don't like any of these. They’re just not me".



But then, I realized that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. BWOF’s December offerings may be a little trendy for my taste, but at least they are trendy. Plus size patterns from Vogue, Butterick, McCall's & Simplicity are usually bland and uninspired; and I like bland and uninspired most of the time. But, if I ever wanted a jacket with a huge collar and wide-legged pants (130A & 133), I’m certain I couldn’t find them in any of the Big 4 catalogs. And although I initially found the designs unappealing, I may want that exact jacket next winter. I may not always appreciate BWOF's trendy designs, but I'm glad they offer the choice.

8 comments:

  1. I really need to look again. I just did a "once over". I like those pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Don't even get Carolyn started on this very topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know
    I have to keep all opinions about december bwof until I get the magazine because nothing really grabbed my attention, a lot of it looked so theatrical, I honestly couldn't see myself sewing anything, so we will see when I get the mag in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, when I first browsed through the preview at www.burdamode.com I couldn't find anything I'd like to make but today I bought the magazine and I must say I'm very pleased. The pictures in the magazine (in some cases) appeal much more to my taste. Just take the vintage model (top + skirt in plaid), as an example; It's fabulous in the magazine and I couldn't even notice it in the preview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why when working with plus size women and they are not going away that don't simply cut the sizes better. Plus size want to be fashionable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with you. Sometimes BWOF is too trendy for me too, but I love the magazine for it's fashion forwardness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so funny--I don't think BWOF is trendy enough most of the time. I really prefer Patrones' offerings. But BWOF sprinkles things in that appeal to me too. I actually think they do a great job of covering a wide range of tastes without resorting to the bland offerings of the Big 4.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As another plus size woman you have said a mouthful and then some! I know that all figures have challenges but it does seem as if the Big 4 think that plus size women need to be covered with a tent and led out to the pasture! I wasn't that thrilled with the December BWOF offerings either ~ a little edgy for my corporate life, however you have made a point at least the trendiness is there and consistently offered!

    ReplyDelete