Wednesday, September 5, 2007

BWOF 01/2006 130 & 131

Some things are just unexplainable. This top is made from an interlock knit. I believed interlock knits had no nap and had no right side or wrong side. But the right side front panel is a little darker than the rest of the shirt. It looks as if it were cut in a different direction than the other pieces. I don't know how this happened. The fabric was folded so it had to be cut in the same direction as the left side front panel. If it were inside out, it wouldn't have fit together and the neckline would have looked really strange. Only one side, not both, appears shaded. I just don't understand how this could have happened. I didn't notice this until I looked at the photograph. I relegated this shirt to "knock around the house" status, but some people on SG suggested I do something to make it look deliberate. I thought maybe fabric paint and a simple stencil; or maybe couching some textured yarn on the offending panel. Other people suggested I wear it under a jacket. I just wish I know how it happened!!! I guess this is just another unsolved mystery of the universe.

The pants were a pleasure – no surprises at all. Because I often found BWOF directions so inadequate, I never even read the directions for fly front zippers. Then, Summerset mentioned that she "loved" BWOF directions for fly front zippers. I've never found anything lovable about BWOF directions. But Summerset pointed out something I should have realized for myself – the illustrated sewing course included in each issue of BWOF! Since I use the plus size patterns (which are never selected as an illustrated sewing course), I'd completely overlooked the detailed directions in the sewing courses. There were illustrated and detailed directions for a fly front zipper in the July 2007 issue! And Summerset even posted a comparison of two methods. I do prefer the results using the BWOF instructions! (I won't go as far as saying I "love" them – not yet anyway.) I'm so glad knowledgeable and generous people like Summerset are part of this online sewing community.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Glad to be of help!

    Regarding the shirt, I'd embellish it to make it look like that panel was on purpose. If people don't know, they'd never suspect it after some stenciling, apppliques, beads, sequins, whatever. Do a repeating motif all the way up that panel, and no one will be the wiser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great shirt. I think it would look very good with a simple stencil running down the panel. It's worth saving.

    ReplyDelete