Saturday, August 15, 2009

Finished: BPF SS-09-403 & KS 3203

While my daughter was home, I had a photographer, albeit an unwilling one at times. I was able to pose outside in natural light and offer a little more variety in the backgrounds. Now, I'm back to my makeshift backdrop and the self timer. I miss my daughter for so many reasons!

Kwik Sew 3203

Pattern Description:
Although this pattern includes pull on pants, I just used one of three featured tops. My top has a slit opening in the front neckline. Other views have a collar or a plain neckline.

Pattern Sizing:
Plus size 1x - 4x

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, very much so.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
One of the best things about Kwik Sew is the easy to follow instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I needed something simple that would not detract from the tone-on-tone embroidery of the fabric. Another of the best things about Kwik Sew is the simplicity of most of their designs.

Fabric Used:
A piece of tan tone-on-tone embroidered cotton begged me to take it home. Being a compassionate woman, I obliged. Click the photo to actually see the embroidery. I love the subtlety of tone-on-tone.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
Pattern alterations and design changes were not needed in this case.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
This simple top can be a great wardrobe builder. It is a good showcase for really fantastic fabric

Conclusion: My goal was to finish one more summer outfit before I started sewing transition/fall clothes. Kwik Sew patterns are perfect for projects you want to finish in a day or two.



Burda Plus Fashion (BPF) SS-09-403

Pattern Description:
Fly front pants with in seam pockets and side and center front.

Pattern Sizing:
European plus size: 44 - 52

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
You always take a chance with BWOF instructions. Sometimes they make a little sense; sometimes they make no sense at all. This time they made a little sense - at least enough sense to follow without scratching my head and saying "Huh?"

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the subtle detailing on the front. Most of the pants I've made have a fly front and hip pocket. In these pants, the hip pocket is an in-seam pocket and is continuous with the seam connecting the side front to the center front. The legs are a little wider than I'd anticipated. BWOF's technical drawings are extremely accurate and show details like leg width, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Fabric Used:
Cotton/poly twill with a little lycra

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I always add 1 inch to the legs when I make pants. I must be shrinking because these pants seem a little long to me, in spite of my bare feet.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
These pants went together quickly and easily.

Conclusion: These pants were a good complement to the Kwik Sew top and make a good late summer outfit.

5 comments:

  1. That's a great looking basic shirt/pants combo and each piece will work wonderfully with many other pieces of your wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you do miss your daughter. Like you I use a self timer and a boring background. Like the top and pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice combo! The tone on tone fabric really is beautiful and is such a nice elegant touch. How does the OCD in you deal with the fact that this is a Kiwk Sew top with a Burda trouser? Or are you ok with mix and match patterns now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice outfit. I love the blouse, with the tone on tone embroidery. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As one of my sewing mentor says: some patterns are user friendly and others user "unfriendly." Sounds like Burda flips the script--one never knows! You know I love Kwik Sew and you are absoluately right about their instructions.

    Nice fit on your blouse. Always enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete