Friday, August 28, 2009

Sewing Gremlins

I want to sew. I've been trying to sew. Really, I have. My mojo is intact and in place. But the sewing gremlins have crept into my sewing room and they don't seem to want to leave. This unwelcome visit from the gremlins has reinforced lessons I already should know.

Lesson #1: Don't by fabric you don't love, even if it's on sale at a great price. I bought this fabric at Les Fabriques (Charlottesville, VA) last May. It was on the sale table and was about $3.00 a yard. I didn't really love the fabric, but I liked it better than anything else on the sale table and it was hard to say "no" to $3.00 a yard. "Yes, I'll take it" turned into "What was I thinking?" pretty quickly. I bought it with the plan of using it for BWOF 03-07-128 – which lead me to the second lesson.

Lesson #2: Don't use a pattern that didn't work the first time. I loved BWOF 03-07-128 when I saw it in the magazine. But when I saw it on me, I didn't love it quite so much. I couldn't accept maybe the pattern just didn't work for me and I was determined to try it again. I began to doubt myself and the pattern more and more as I laid and cut it out and I convinced myself I wouldn't like it. This doubt trumped any investment I may have had with in dress. I never got the second chance because I never made it past laying and cutting out.

Lesson #3: Don't waste time on uncooperative fabric, especially fabric you never loved in the first place. The fabric had a really nice hand. It was drapey and would have added movement and a "swishy" factor to the dress. Unfortunately, the bias was unstable and quite a few pieces were cut on the bias. One piece grew about 2 inches! There was no way it could be pushed and cajoled back into shape. That is what finally convinced me to give up and call the time of death. I unpinned the pattern pieces, put them back into the envelope and said "goodbye and good riddance" to the fabric as I threw it in the trash. Linen is the recommended fabric and I still may give the pattern one more chance if I find the right fabric.

So far, the gremlins have been here for a week. I've begun my next project, BWOF 05-09-133, and there is evidence one or two little buggers might still be here. I always buy more fabric than I need, just in case. Apparently the gremlins cut off and stole some of my fabric because I had barely enough to layout the pattern pieces. I had to eliminate the collar (which I didn't love, anyway) and replace it with a back neck facing. The worst part of this gremlin invasion is the time they've stolen. A whole week has passed and I have nothing to show for it! I think I'll wait a day or two to make sure the sewing gremlins have gone.

6 comments:

  1. Completely agree with you on Lesson 1; I've done it more times than I want to count and I keep saying, "I won't do it again!" (but sometimes I don't listen to myself and history repeats itself!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your next dress looks very cute. I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck getting rid of the gremlins, I hope they decide to vacate your sewing room and you are able to make that sewing machine hum again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, yes, move that project right on to the dumpster! Make stuff you love and I do hope this next dress will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had this same experience a few months ago. Fabric that was cheap but I didn't love and a pattern that I've seen many others make and love, but wasn't for me. End result, I got as far as putting in darts and sewing front and back together, then wadded it up and tossed it in the bin. I do like this pattern and I think it will look good on you, so find the right fabric and make something you'll love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about the gremlins. But please, don't send them to my house. Sounds like they were there to teach you some important lessons.

    ReplyDelete