Friday, April 2, 2010

A Touch of Pink

The challenge of using this fabric was to use the trim in a way that didn't look too 60's. When I tried the trim on the long sleeved tunic, (BWOF 06-09-135) all I could think of was how groovy it looked so I considered trimming the short sleeved blouse (BPF SS-06-402).

Burda Plus Fashion SS-06-402

My first inspiration was to use the trim only on the inside of the neckline where the instructions called for bias tape. Since it would not be visible to the public, I thought that would be a subtle way to use the trim – a "secret embellishment" since I would be the only person to see it. I would have been happy to leave well enough alone at that point, but the buttons had a touch of white and I wanted to use more trim so the buttons and trim could work together.

Pattern Description: Blouse with princess seaming in front and darts in the back.

Pattern Sizing: European plus sizing 44 - 52

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? I made this blouse before, so this time the instructions were easy. I first made this blouse back when I was totally confused by and critical of Burda instructions. Now, I'm used to the instructions and they don't bother me anymore.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I needed a short-sleeved blouse and this one worked.

Fabric Used: A crinkle cotton my daughter brought back from Morocco.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I added an inch to the length. The trim on the neckline and sleeve could be considered a design change since it wasn't included in the original design.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? The next time a make this, I want to eliminate the collar add a conventional neck and front facing.

Conclusion: This cotton is very light and comfortable to wear. I have a perfect hot weather blouse.



Burda Style 06-09-135


Pattern Description:

Pattern Sizing: European plus size 44 - 52

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This fabric was purchased in Morocco and I wanted to use it for something that was reminiscent of that part of the world. This tunic was the closest thing.

Fabric Used: crinkle cotton

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: none, I made this as-is.

Conclusion: The fabric is lightweight, so I'll wear it when the weather is much warmer in spite of the long sleeves.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice! That color looks good on you, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaray

    I like both of these. I think your use of the trim is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tops, I love them both, and that pink is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both of these. I would never have picked pink for you, but it's really nice on you. Loose comfy cotton garments are perfect in summer. Where I live, it's too hot and humid in summer to wear knits, so garments like this are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the ribbon on the hem of the short sleeve is cute, cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great new blouses, wonderful color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are "in the pink", so to speak! Nice blouses, and I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just right! The color is really nice and there's just enough trim to add an extra bit of pop to the blouse.

    ReplyDelete