Friday, July 24, 2009

New Misson: Thread Organization

I've been inspired by an unlikely source: Jo-Ann Fabrics & Crafts. July 19 - 25 was Coupon Commotion Week and the flyer contained five "40% off any one regular priced item" coupons. Motivated by the 40% savings, I decided to organize my thread collection and used the coupons for ArtBin Thread Organizers.

Before


After



The plan is to have a box for each color, although I'll probably need two boxes just for blue thread. I've ordered the cube (from Amazon) to house the individual boxes and I'll order the casters (directly from ArtBin.com) as soon as they are back in stock. The only challenge will be finding the perfect spot in the already crowded sewing room for the cube. If only I could get rid of the bed in the sewing room I would have so much room for storage! Actually, there is another challenge. My plan was to demonstrate some budgetary responsibility and use future coupons to buy the additional thread boxes I'm likely to need. But, I'm excited and getting impatient and I don't want to wait two weeks for another coupon. Improvement projects often point out the need for more improvement projects. After I organize spools of thread, I'll need to find a way to organize the cones of serger thread, too.

Like many sewers, I have a few issues with Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts, so let me give credit where credit is due. In this case, they supplied the incentive for this much-needed organizational project … and at a reasonable price.

10 comments:

  1. you can print out coupons at
    http://printable-coupons.blogspot.com/2005/12/jo-ann-coupons.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embroidery threads and serger threads are my problem. I'll stick a couple of spools of each n my purse. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all that red! You are looking organized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elaray: Good work in organizing threads. We have a new JoAnn's in our area (opened in April) and it's on the way from medical appointments. I used that excellent July 4th sale to pick up some starter quilting tools (a future post). The JoAnn's near where I work..well, that'a a different story and another post altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the thread organizers at Jo-Ann's last year, feels great to have it better organized.

    As for serger thread, imho don't buy the serger thread containers from Jo-Ann's. They're quite bulky and actually take up quite a bit of space for the amount of thread that fits in one container, the cones have to be "just so" in the container or the lid won't sit right and I found some of my cones (all the same brand) wouldn't fit on the raised portion designed to hold them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did the gorgeous kitty come with the boxes? If so, I'll be ordering a few of those for me. These boxes look like a great idea and I'm going to see if I can find some here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need them too. My threads have started falling onto the floor when I opening my sewing cupboard up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! I am amazed at how much thread you have!! I am not at that level yet. Again, WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm on an organizing binge right now myself, and I've made such a godawful mess in the workroom that I actually can't reach the sewing machine, which kind of defeats the purpose. Love the little sewing assistant there, she's a cutie.

    ReplyDelete