Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Finished: Burda 8213 & 8244

Robert Burns had the right idea about plans. "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley."1

My plan was to spend Friday, maybe Saturday making a skirt and top to wear to church on Sunday. That plan certainly did gang agley. The skirt is lined and I made the lining inside out. I forgot the right side of the lining should face my body. The zipper opening on the lining ended up on the right side while the opening on the skirt was on the left side. Of course, I tried to make it fit anyway, but for some reason, it didn't work out. I had to go out and buy more lining fabric and it became impossible to finish the skirt according to my timetable. And the top decided it needed shoulder pads, so I had to buy those also. Oh, well.

Burda 8213 Skirt

Pattern Description:
Lined, 8-gore skirt with side zipper.

Pattern Sizing:
European 36 - 50
US 10 - 24

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were finished sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. I was concerned about keeping the eight gores in the correct order. I used stickers to identify the seams. It's a good thing I used this technique only on the lining. The stickers left a residue on the fabric, so I was glad I didn't use it on the fashion fabric. Another plan gang agley.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the shape of tulip skirts. I'm not sure if they are are still in style, but I like them. The lining adds substance to the lightweight rayon fabric. I almost excluded it after my little mishap, but I'm glad I stayed with the plan.

Fabric Used:
I used rayon challis. Almost any weight fabric can be used for this skirt. The pattern envelope recommends linen blends, gabardine, lightweight wools and rayon.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
None

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes – this pattern is quick, easy and suitable for many fabrics.

Burda 8244 Top

Pattern Description:
T-shirt with faced neckline.

Pattern Sizing:
European 44 - 60
US 18 - 34

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were finished sewing with it?
Yes. This is such a simple design, I would have been surprised if it didn't look like the pattern envelope.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very much so.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
What's to like or dislike? I just wanted a t-shirt. Actually, I like the bust darts. They give a more flattering fit for women with C or D cups. And the neckline facing, as opposed to a binding, makes the t-shirt more feminine. It looks more like a shell than a t-shirt.

Fabric Used:
A matte jersey

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
The pattern directions recommend easing the sleeve cap as you would if using a woven fabric. The sleeve cap is rather high for a t-shirt. But I've never had to ease a t-shirt sleeve. If I make this top again, I'll check to see if easing is really needed on the sleeve cap. The directions recommend using a twin needle to hem the sleeves and bottom. I used the cover stitch configuration on my serger.
The next time I make this top, I will lower the darts a little.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
This t-shirt rivals Kwik Sew in it's simplicity. I recommend it, but I think it's been discontinued.

Conclusion:
This t-shirt can be made in an afternoon - perfect for beginners and those who need instant gratification.



I love that my church has a dress-down policy during July and August, but my old-school upbringing will allow me to dress-down only so far. So, I needed some easy summer outfits for church. The t-shirt, when matched with the simple skirt makes a casual summer outfit I can feel comfortable wearing.


1 "The best laid schemes of mice and men / Go often askew." Burns, Robert, To a Mouse, 1785

6 comments:

  1. oh gosh... I've done that lining/skirt side mix up more times that I want to think about! More than once I've saved it by turning the lining seams into french seams. Depends how much ease you have, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful summery skirt. And, girls can always use another tshirt. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy your finished the outfit, it looks great. I am with you on dressing for church, must be my upbringing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn! Right when I think that I have all the skirt patterns that I need...I find another! Love your skirt. The flare is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used stickers to make the numbers on my fashion fabric but I used the fluroscent ones that looks like little tabs from Walmart, they have a post it effect so they don't really stick to the fabric as much. Tulip skirt never goes out of style, I don't care what anyone says, its very flattering I don't care what your shape is. I think the two pieces are great summer outfit, great for church, there is nothing like praising god and being comfortable at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  6. There you go, chopping your head off again...

    ReplyDelete