Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Finished: Burda Plus FW 07: 404 Top & 405 Pants

Pants - 405

This time, I wanted a simple pair of pants with none of the design details I usually love in BWOF patterns.

Pattern Description: Fly front pants with hip pockets.

Pattern Sizing: Plus 44 – 54 (Plus range)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. I’m getting used to BWOF’s directions. I've learned to look for important information in unexpected places and to read the instructions completely.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The waistband featured a bias tape finish (essentially a Hong Kong finish) that I haven’t seen in any other patterns, but I have seen in lots of RTW. It really makes a classy finish and I may use it again.

Fabric Used: Wool twill. (probably a wool blend)

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Usually I add length to the crotch so the waistband is higher (think Ed Grimley). I forgot to do that in this case, but I still like the results. I added one inch to the pant leg length. I added an inch to the thighs using the pivot and slide technique from Nancy Zeiman's Pattern Fitting With Confidence. This alternation is now one of my usual pattern alterations; especially when a fabric "with or without elastane" (in Burdaspeak) is recommended.

Conclusion: Many BWOF patterns are not this simple -- especially the patterns I’ve chosen lately. This is a good starter pattern for anyone wary of BWOF patterns.


Top - 404

Pattern Description: Long sleeved knit shirt.

Pattern Sizing: 44 – 54 (Plus range)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? This pattern was so easy, the instructions weren’t really needed.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I was looking for a simple pattern and this pattern certainly fit the bill.

Fabric Used: A slinky knit, I think. I don’t usually sew knits, so I’m not even sure what a “slinky” knit is. It was knit, it had a sheen and it slid all over the cutting table. To me, that’s slinky knit. This is a busy print and I think it works well with the simple pattern. (Maybe, I'm finally learning that lesson.)

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: The sewing instructions called for trimming the neckline allowance and finishing with a serger. I didn’t like that treatment, so I serged and turned under the seam allowance. I used a narrow zigzag to top-stitch.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would like to use this pattern with a sweater knit.

Even thought it took me two weeks to finish a "quick and easy outfit", these may be my "go-to" pieces when I need or want a new outfit fast.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful top, and I like the finish on the pants as well.
    A slinky knit is traditionally acetate, but sometimes made of polyester. It is very heavy but has supurb drape. It is almost like a mesh weave, but tighter. Coldwater Creek, and Chicos were some of the first to popularize slinky knits, calling them "travel knits" This is ironic, since if you had a suitcase full of slinky knits, you'd be paying extra baggage charges for over-weight! They originally only were available in black and a few dark colors, but now can be found in a variety of solids and prints.
    Whatever you call it, the knit you used looks wonderful! (It's probably some kind of poly jersey-which is a pain to lay out- by the looks of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple pieces, but very nicely done and will probably be the ones you'll sew often when you need something quick and new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though these are basics and totally necessary to your wardrobe...I really like the print of the top! It gives a basic outfit a little of pizzazz! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look like great basic pants. I bet you'll end up wearing them alot.
    Love the print of the top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pants are a great fit and you know I like that knit top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The top and pants together are smashing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous outfit (the fit looks perfect!) and beautiful details on the inside of the pants! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I said in another comment, catching up on reading blogs this AM. Just had to comment on the beautiful top! Great fabric and looks great on you. As Carolyn said this top gives basics a little sizzle.

    ReplyDelete