Monday, August 27, 2012

Peaceful Pineapples

I just finished a small wall hanging for my sewing room.  There was an empty space on the wall and I didn't want yet another picture.  I wanted something three-dimensional.  I looked in Home Goods, Pier 1 Imports and any store that sold home decor items.  Then I remembered, "Hey, I can sew!  What better way to decorate a sewing room than with something I sewed?"



About 18 months ago I attended a demonstration in which Gyleen X. Fitzgerald (Trash to Treasure Pineapple Quilts) showed her tool for making pineapple quilt blocks.   Naturally, I bought the tool and the accompanying book.  Recently, I bought a pack of 6 fat quarters to practice the block.   The result was this small wall hanging I call "Peaceful Pineapples."

The aspects of quilting I thought would bore me are the things I like most about quilting.  The repetition calms me and is addictive.   Once I got the rhythm of the process, it was hard to stop.  I was up way past my normal bedtime making the pineapple blocks. Then the next morning, I took the piece to my front porch for the hand sewing.  Hand sewing is also relaxing.  Sitting on the porch, in the quiet of the morning was very peaceful – hence the name "Peaceful Pineapples". 

I like quilting more than I ever thought I would.  The planning, shopping for fabrics, buying books magazines, and patterns is a lot like garment sewing.  Quilting has become another outlet for creativity.

8 comments:

  1. It's great to see people who are accomplished at sewing, also learning how to sew quilts. Since my Wife and I started QuiltAddict.com a few months ago, I have also learned more about how to sew quilts than I had planned to. We invite you and your readers to join us and to learn about how to sew quilts from our blog posts and "how to" videos. Good luck with your quilting and remember, Quilting is "A Great Habit" !
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are enjoying your new hobby AND that you've made a wonderful new piece of artwork for your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee,

    Your wall hanging looks great. Guyleen spoke at my quilt guild (Undercover Quilters) a couple of years ago and was lovely and down-to-earth. Let me know if you ever want to come to a guild meeting. We meet in Brookhaven, not too far from JOann's. Ernestine

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're cool, and now every time you look at them on your sewing room wall you can think peaceful thoughts. Brilliant.

    I find the repetition involved in quilting incredibly soothing, and you're right it's so addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! lol Just another excuse to buy fabric! But I agree, it is very relaxing. I machine and hand piece both and enjoy both for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this little quilt piece! This picture of your quilt actually has become an inspiration for some homemade cards I'm about to make. I will let you know once I'm done and I'll shoot over a picture :) @ geniebeancards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad I was able to inspire you! And yes, do send a picture! XOXO

      Delete