Thursday, July 26, 2012

Finished: McCall's 4097 & BWOF 03-2006-131C



Top:  McCall's 4097


Click here or see sidebar for Pattern Review
Pattern Description:
Very simple top with cut-on sleeves.  The sleeves have a slit.  The pattern includes shorts, capris and two other tops.

Pattern Sizing:
18W to 32W

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, very easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This design does not conflict with huge checks in the fabric.  I had another pattern in mind for this fabric, but I didn't have enough fabric to accommodate the layout needed for the big checks.

Fabric Used:
Cotton blend

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn't actually make any changes, but there is a design change I wish I'd made!  Louise Cutting recommends changing the shape of the  back neck facing so that it is about 6 - 7 inches deep at the center and gradually tapers to the shoulder.  According to Cutting, this change helps the facing stay in place and looks nicer on the hanger.  I wish I'd made that change on the top.  If I make the top again, I will include the altered back neck facing.

Would you sew it again?
In a solid color, this simple pattern is an excellent palate for embellishment  – I'm thinking silk screening.  I only wish I had the skill and talent to do some type of embellishment.

Conclusion: 
Originally, the fabric was paired with a more complex BurdaStyle Magazine pattern. The big checks required additional fabric and I didn't have enough.  I found this pattern online and immediately ran out to buy it.  I didn't trace off the pieces, so I was able to cut and sew it in one day.  I like patterns like that!

Capris BWOF 03-2006-131C


Click here or see sidebar for
Pattern Review.
Pattern Description:
Fly front capri length pants.  The pattern also includes long pants with back patch pockets.

Pattern Sizing:
European plus size 46 - 52

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The front pocket instructions were a bit of a challenge.  As usual the problem could have been solved with a diagram.  The pocket included a piping strip inserted into a dart.  The sewer is instructed to slash the dart, sew the piping to the top of the pocket opening and sew it into the dart as the dart is sewn.  Trying to write clear directions here is a challenge for me, but imagine how easy it would be to understand if I included a diagram.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
In spite of the challenging instructions, I liked the front pocket.  I made these pants a long time ago and forgot how I did the front pocket, so it was a challenge to me again.  This time, I made notes on the instruction sheet and pattern piece so it will be easier next time.

Fabric Used:
Cotton twill.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made none this time, but  I'd like to add a few design elements by cutting the legs into pieces for topstitched faux fell seams and adding a few decorative tabs.  I like it when a project inspires me to another project!

Conclusion: 
This is not the outfit I visualized when I bought the fabric, but it still suits the purpose.

9 comments:

  1. I like your outfit, Elaray, looks great on you. The top and fabric are a perfect combination. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those capris, so much so that I intend to find that BWOF issue, (although there may well be some cussing here when It is pocket time). LauraUK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made about 5 tops from this pattern. M4097 was great for my print fabric with large circles and other designs. I like your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It works. Perfect for this hot summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Color looks good on you. I love this outfit. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your outfit looks terrific! I really like the fabrics you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great combo! Perfect summer outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really good looking outfit! I love the colors in the top. I own the top pattern but have never tried it. You've encouraged me to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete