Click here or see sidebar for PR Review
I thought the print fabric needed some contrast. I was lucky to find the black contrasting fabric at JoAnn. The two fabrics are essentially identical and they work well together. Adding the contrast was easy. I determined the width and drew a line on the bodice pattern piece (front and back). Then, I laid tracing paper over the bodice and traced the new contrast band piece. Next, I added the seam allowance to the band and to the new edge of the bodice and cut out the pieces. I recommend including a notch for matching the pieces. An even easier method would have been to draw the line, cut the pattern piece apart and add seam allowances. The bodice is lined with self fabric rather than faced.
No one would ever notice, but I used a tone-on-tone decorative stitch on the insert. I took the time to audition several stitch patterns to find one that complimented the print. I needn't have bothered. I like a tone-on-tone effect for its subtlety, but this passes subtle and goes right to invisible.
I'm happy with the way this dress turned out. I glad that decided to add the contrast. This may end up being a favorite dress.