Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Shopping With A Purpose

My wardrobe has not evolved since I was eight years old.   In fact, my wardrobe is less functional and varied now than it was way back then.  When I was a child, my clothes fell into three categories:  school clothes, Sunday dresses, and play clothes.  In the early 60s, girls did not wear pants to school and my pants were considered play clothes.  But I had school dresses and Sunday dresses. Today, the lines separating the categories have blurred.   My work clothes and church clothes are essentially the same.  Since I wear pants to work everyday,  I own very few dresses.   I've gone backward.  It's sad. 

This realization came to me while I was standing in front of my closet on a recent Sunday morning, looking for something to wear to church.  I simply do not have enough dresses.  Really, what beats a dress for quick and easy church dressing?   A dress and necklace and I'm styled and ready to go!  To address this challenge, I've decided to dedicate PR Weekend to  dresses!    SWAP now stands for Shopping With A Purpose!  I can shop without stress because I'm freeing myself from my compulsion to buy coordinating fabrics for tops and bottoms.  Any and all fabrics are open to me, yet I won't be overwhelmed because I'll have a specific goal.   I've already identified several dress patterns, some for knits and some for wovens, so it will be very easy to assign patterns to fabric once I actually buy the fabric.  All I have to do is find fabric I like.  That won't be a problem.  If I happen to see coordinates, I'll snatch them up, but dresses are my focus.

Now that I have this new definition of SWAP, I can't wait for PR Weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I love SWAP, the new definition. I'd like to add a few dresses to my summer wardrobe as well. I Love the patterns you've selected and I think I have a few of them too. They were in the easier-to-trace editions of burda. Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan to me! Looking forward to your new dess wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've come to a similar realization recently, but mine is that I don't like any of the dresses I have. They're all several years old because last year I realized I had more dresses than I wore so I stopped making them. Now I just don't like them and am trying harder to make dress I like to wear. Good luck with your shopping, I'm sure you'll have tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go for it girl!, because the last dress you posted was the BOMB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Plan! I find the same thing, that the lines between work and church tend to blur. I would RATHER have church dresses separate from work dresses. I am also in need of updating that part of my wardrobe. I wish I were able to join all of you at PR weekend and meet you face to face. Just can't happen this year. Have a great time - and you're right, your shopping will be SO much easier with your new focus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good plan. I noticed the same about my wardrobe about three years ago. Since them I've sewn more dresses than anything. So now I'm needing to make more tops, jackets and bottoms. Good luck on shopping for your SWAP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choices. I'm sure you'll have no problems finding great fabrics for them.

    ReplyDelete