Thursday, December 30, 2010

Finally: A Plan

I've wanted to sew a SWAP for years, but  I knew I couldn't sustain the motivation to sew up to eleven! count 'em, 11! pieces that worked together.  I settled on a mini-SWAP as an alternative.  Even with the bar lowered, I didn't have patterns that cried out to be sewn into a collection.  But then, the stars and planets aligned and the patterns fell into my lap - or out of my mailbox, to be more accurate.  The January 2011 issue of BurdaStyle contained a pattern collection that just might work!
The colors are actually much richer than shown.
I already had the main fabric.  Way back in March 2010 I bought five yards of a crepe-looking wool blend.  At the time, I had no idea what I would do with it, but it was on sale at JoMar for  $1.60 a yard and I couldn't walk away.  The quest for the blouse fabric took me back to JoMar and I found a coordinating solid.   I wanted to include a simple collarless blouse or knit top to wear under the jacket.  I thought I'd found the fabric – a solid cream colored silky polyester, similar to the mauve.  When I got home from JoMar, I realized I was missing that cut of fabric.  I laid my fabrics down while Annette, Karen and I searched through three bins of buttons and I must have left it next to the bins and gone to the register without it.  I learned two lessons from that little mistake:
1. pay closer attention to what I'm doing
2. the cream color was just too boring.
I really wanted a knit anyway. 

So, my first mini-SWAP wardrobe collection has been added to the queue!  For me, a SWAP or four or five pieces is motivating, while eleven pieces is downright frightening.  Hopefully, I'll get to it before Winter ends.

Parting shot:
This photo shows the fabric colors better, but there was a big, gray piece of fur on the fabric that I couldn't edit out.

17 comments:

  1. The big piece of fur cannot be edited, because it is the best part of the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your mini-swap. The patterns look perfect for it. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A 4-piece collection sounds achievable. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about the SWAP - love the idea but just a bit intimidating ! The 4-5 piece collection is more manageable and I'm thinking about trying one myself. Love the colors and patterns you picked and looking forward to your finished pieces.

    Funny how those furry bits always manage to steal the show, isn't it LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. 11 pieces are just too many to sustain my interest. I buy a lot of HP patterns and get their newsletter, which by the way is worth signing up for, and what was the latest? 6 piece capsule wardrobes, their patterns of course, but all laid out for us. I have a list of several 6 piece capsules. I printed out the technical drawings for the first one, and those pants are in mine too. Aren't they fabulous! I am working on my coat but I think I'll post my selections as well. I do love a plan as long as it's not too big!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and if you add another two tops you'll have Trudy's capsule down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, furry ones just love to supervise things! Looking forward to seeing your mini SWAP. That Jan Burda is great isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Home Girl, I wasn't there until yesterday, Wednesday. However, you would have recognized me if I had been there on the same day as you. I would have been the woman with the CRAZED fabric obsession look on her face (lol). So did you drive down to shop, or were you on the way back home after Christmas? I had finished a visit with my DD in Greensboro and was on my way back home. I've wanted to go there the since last Christmas, then again this past June, but I-85 gives me the shakes so I opted out. This time I said "it's now or never" and just took the plunge. Glad I did, and will plan on going back again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eleray
    11 garments may sound frightening, but I can tell you it gets really really boring. The mini-SWAP is the best idea. Good luck, I think I've got colors like that in my stash too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have two questions/comments...

    1. Why aren't you making the dress? I love the dress from this issue and think it would work great with these pieces.

    2. You need a print. Sorry but you do. The print will make all of the pieces pop and really play nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're already so good at sewing co-ordinating outfits that this will be easy for you! I wish I had your skills of co-ordination. Can't wait to see what you come out with. Didn't you do a navy and white wardrobe complete with matching purse a few years back?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your mini-SWAP plan. I think it'll be lovely....as long as you are able to avoid sewing the gray furry thing. Love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grrrrh! I loved that fabric.

    Can't say I'd have thought of it, but I like Carolyn's suggestion. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck, and have fun! Sewing should be fun and not stressful so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, looks nice! You do know that once the gray fur gets on the fabric you'll have a hard time getting it off, cat body or no!

    ReplyDelete