Monday, April 15, 2013

Thanks, Denise!

I've known my best friend Denise since kindergarden.  She decorates cakes, makes ceramics, caters and organizes events, and she is an excellent seamstress.  We learned to sew together in Home Ec in junior high school; back when there were such things as Home Ec and junior high school.  I remember looking a suit she made and being instantly inspired to improve my own sewing skills.  She seldom makes garments anymore, though.  Instead, she makes fantastic, custom designed, one-of-a kind aprons.  She made an apron for my daughter and finally, she made one for me.



Her husband has barely forgiven me for encouraging her to buy an embroidery machine, but the barbecue apron below monogrammed with W. L. J. was made for him.  She knows how much I love to sew, so my apron has a sewing theme.  And the buttons are little thimbles!   Not only did her suit inspire me to be a better sewer, but her apron might inspire me to be a better cook!










She sells her creations at various venues, but I'm trying to convince her to set up an Etsy shop.  I think she'd do very well. 


∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞

 And now, a retraction/correction.

In a past post, I complained about Burda's fashion photography. It's true, sometimes the fashion photos don't tell you much about the garments.  But there is an alternative.  Both the website and the magazine include garment photographs in addition to fashion photographs and line drawings.  I wouldn't want my complaining to scare a potential sewer away from trying BurdaSyle Magazine patterns.

3 comments:

  1. Denise J sent me a link to your blog and was delighted to see the aprons and learn about your job of sewing. I had to laugh at your comment on urging Willie's reaction to her buying an embroidery machine. I also urged her as well but glad you took on Willie :-) I just think he has to put up a fuss because we will all think he is such a wonderful, loving, and caring, husband. I guess he didn't know we already thought that (or at least I did). Keep stitching away. and thank you. Martha Boland, Elmira, NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. The buttons are thimbles? Get out of town!!!
    See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete