Today really IS the first day of the rest of my life.
No, I won't be spending 8 hours a day in my sewing room but I do have a plan for my new life.
- I retired from my job, not my career. I'll continue the part-time independent contracting I've done for several years.
- My DD is treating me to my first cruise ever. In the Fall, when my former colleagues are settling in to another school year, I'll be settling into a deck chair on a cruise ship.
- I plan to take advantage of a local university program for Lifelong Learning which offers a variety of courses such as Introduction to Adobe Photoshop, Myth in Human History, and Quantum Mechanics for the "Spiritually Inclined" (huh?). This program also entitles members to audit one undergraduate course per semester, if there is space.
- I no longer need a large work wardrobe so I plan to do more quilting. Or I may tackle that coat or tailored jacket I've wanted to sew for years.
- My first BIG project will be to move my sewing room into the larger bedroom that was once occupied by my DD. Finally, I'll have more room for more fabric and Burda Magazines.
Stress often comes with change; even a change for the better. I'm a little nervous, but I'm looking forward to this new phase in my life. For a number of reasons, it's the right time for me to retire. Once I make the necessary mental adjustments, I'll be able to enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle.